Phippsfield Tile and Brick Works, Black Isle, Near Tain. Below – 10/06/1840 – Inverness Courier – Advert. Below – 08/07/1840 – Inverness Courier – Public dinner in Tain to Hugh Ross Esq, of Cromarty. The special object of the dinner was intended to celebrate the establishment by Mr Ross, Phippsfield of a manufactory for bricks…
(Note – SBH – Lower Kildun appears to be situated about a mile from Ussie brick and tile works so they may have been one of the same)
26/08/1840 – Inverness Courier – Brick and Tile Work – The Public are respectfully informed, that the new brick and tile manufactory at Lower Kildun, neat Dingwall, is now in full operation ; and that orders for bricks, and for draining and roofing tiles, addressed to W. H. Ziegler, Manager at the work, will meet with careful and prompt attention. Dingwall, 21st August 1840.
30/09/1840 – Inverness Courier – Article on the progress of the Ross-shire harvest ….At Hilton (which is now believe in Tulloch’s own hands) may be seen the beneficial results of draining and improving. The land was thoroughly drained last spring and is now bearing a crop of oats, seven or eight quarters per acre. Mr Davidson drained about thirty acres with small stones, the size of roadmetal; and this season he has used tiles from the Kildun tile-works, which are expected to answer better than stones in the clay subsoil of Strathpeffer. The utility of tile-draining is daily becoming more apparent. Ross of Cromarty has established an extensive tile work in Easter Boss, and Provost Cameron of Dingwall has another in operation near Maryburgh. The tiles are sold at £2 and £2 2s per thousand, and seem of excellent quality……..
Below – 1873 – The brickworks are not detailed. The map is reproduced to show the realationship between Ussie and Lower Kildun.