Linoleum Works, Well Brae, Falkland AKA St Johns Works. Canmore – St Johns Linoleum Works, Falkland. The older part was built in brick between 1892 and 1912: a range of buildings with a serrated row of roofs over arched windows at each drying chamber, the whole fringed by balconies for access. At first, making floorcloth, it…
Found in Fife by TM
Julian C.B.B – stands for the pit name and the owners initials Charles Babbington Balfour
BALGONIE Colliery (also known as JULIAN PIT)
Previous Owners: Balfour and Balgonie Estates, later the Balgonie Colliery Company
Types of Coal: House and Steam
Sinking/Production Commenced: 1883-5
Year Closed: 1960
Year Abandoned: 1960
Average Workforce: 448
Peak Workforce: 490
Peak Year: 1952
Shaft/Mine Details: 2 shafts, No. 1 147m, No. 2 119m deep
Details in 1948: Output 470 tons per day, 123,262 tons per annum. 445 employees. Baum-type washer [equipment using water and compressed air to clean and separate coal from stone and shale]. DC and AC high tension electricity, none bought from public supply. Report dated 06-08-1948.
Other Details: Re-organised by National Coal Board (NCB) in 1954.
M K Oglethorpe 2006.
1923 Balgonie – Chairman was Capt C J Balfour
Info – The Julian Pit lay a few miles to the north-east of Thornton, not far from the Lochtyside Pit, Balgonie Colliery, which lay to the west and just south of Coaltown of Balgonie. The pit was sunk to the Dysart Main Coal at a depth of around 82 fathoms.
The Scotsman 19 January, 1886 NEW COAL PIT IN FIFESHIRE. – During the past two years sinking operations have been going on uninterruptedly on the Balgonie estate, near Thornton Junction. The property belongs to Mr Charles Babbington Balfour. The shaft has been sunk to the depth of 80½ fathoms, or 483 feet. The sinking has been attended with the utmost success, and a number of seams of coal have been passed through. ( Thanks to TM for identifying this )