Dunaskin Fire Clay Works –Dalmellington – Dunaskin Fireclay Mine was owned by the Dalmellington Iron Company from 1866 to c. 1920. They also mined at the Pennyvenie mine and at the Jellieston mine, Patna. They produced taphole clay for blast furnaces and only ever made a few firebricks in the early years. Their biggest product…
Hyndshaw Fireclay Mine, Morningside, Newmains, North Lanarkshire.
1896 – Morningside Mine – Morningside Coal Co, Newmains. Coal and Fire Clay mined. John Gray Manager. (Note – SBH – This is believed to be the Hyndshaw Mine)
1920 – Special report on the mineral resources of Great Britain – Chapel Coal Company Limited.
Morningside Brickworks, Newmains.
Situation: Near Morningside Station.
Geological formation: Coal Measures.
The fireclay used here is the floor of the Lower Drumgray Coal and is brought by rail a distance of about a mile from the company’s Chapel and Hyndshaw Pits.
The section of the seam shows fireclay variable between 2 and 3 feet. The clay as raised is grey, rooty and fairly hard; it burns a white colour and provides excellent material for making refractory bricks. It is ground at the works; the bricks are hand moulded, dried and burnt in coal-fired Newcastle kilns. The contraction is low being only 3/4of an inch. This clay seems specially adapted for difficult shapes, and a large trade in these is done. For some of these, the ground clay is mixed with ground ‘grog’ (burnt bricks) and a proportion of a ground clayey sandstone from the Fauldhouse district. Reserves: If the quality of the clay holds good throughout the field, there are ample reserves in view.
1933 – Operated by the Morningside Fireclay Company Limited.
1938 – Morningside Fireclay Company Limited. – Hyndshaw Mine. 8 employees below ground and 3 above – Abandoned. Also, reference to a Watsonhead Fireclay Mine with all the same details as Hyndshaw.