Buccleuch Terracotta Co

Buccleuch Terra Cotta Works, Sanquhar, Dumfries-shire. c. 1880s – prior to 1970’s

Following on from the Sanquhar Brick & Tile Works, a second brickfield owned by by the Duke of Buccleuch was leased to a Mathew McIver, whose family originated form Ireland. He produced bricks under his own name and also that of the Duke of Buccleuch. McIver also advanced the technology of brickmaking. He invented a process of drying the bricks by steam thereby reducing the waste caused by over drying. The lease area extended to over 80 acres, with a seam depth of 21 feet with a further 4 1/2 feet of blue brick clay in the mine.

The works were obtained in c 1912 by Sanquhar & Kirkconnel Collieries Limited. The National Coal Board took over in 1947 and the works remained in production until a few years after the closure of the colliery in 1969

Found Buccleuch brickworks, Sanquhar

Tagged with: ,

Similar articles