Found at the Avonbridge Brickworks Avonbridge. Avonbridge Brickworks, Avonbridge, Falkirk Alternative names: Avon Brickworks Redford Fireclay Works Candiehead Brickworks . Below – An intact but worn example found by Andrew Wood near Blackgrange, Clackmannanshire.
Canmore – Alternative Name(s) Afton Brick Co Ltd; Avon Brickworks; Redford Fireclay Works; Candiehead, Brickworks.
Avonbridge Brick Works, Falkirk The Avonbridge Brick Works in Avonbridge, Falkirk were established about 1952 by Afton Brick Co Ltd. They were operated for a time by the Caledonian Peat Co Ltd, and latterly by the London & Northern Group. The works were closed on 9 September 1977. They used a continuous kiln, which was fan-assisted. The tapering chimney measured 4m across at ground level and is 23.5m high. The kiln is a 28-chambered, brick-built and barrel-arched Hoffmann, one of the most popular types in Scotland. Conveyors were used to transport raw material around the site and the crusher used in the works was a Mitchell. The works made building bricks marked ‘Avonbridge’, ‘A B L’ or ‘Afton’.
(Note – SBH – Canmore infers that the Avon/Avonbridge Brickworks were also known as the Redford Brickworks. I am not convinced by this at all and believe they were situated at different locations, albeit nearby – for further research and in the meantime, I have created an individual page for the Redford Brickworks.)
Site names – Avonbridge Brickworks, Candie and Redford Colliery, Redford Mine, Redford Fireclay Works.
Established prior to 1876. Closed 1978
In the Falkirk Herald 29th, April 1876 an entry appeared advertising the Redford Fire Brickworks attached to Redford Colliery. The site was therefore producing firebricks prior to this date. There is no evidence to indicate when these works closed. However, in 1952 a composite brickworks was opened on the same site. It did not become a profitable concern and was burdened by continued financial problems. After changing hands twice it finally closed in 1978.
The older site consisted of a steam engine, 2 kilns a pan mill and 2 drying stores. The more recent site consisted of a 28 chambered Hoffman Kiln, 1 Mitchell crusher, 1 pan mill, 1 Chimney, a workshop and a store next to the kiln.
The earlier works obtained a good supply of fireclay and coal from the pit adjoining the works. Common clay was also available on the surface.
The earlier works produced firebricks.
Later works produced composition bricks frequently using the brand name of Avonbridge.
The following bricks were found at the works during a survey – Afton, Avonbridge, ABL, Darngavil, Eagle, Etna, Falcon, Micona and Newmains.
Source Falkirk Archives.
Below – 14/12/1860 – Glasgow Herald – Coal and minerals including several seams of clay to be let on the Estate of Redford.
Below – 29/04/1876 – Falkirk Herald – Fire brick work to let. To be let, for any length of time which may be agreed on, Redford Fire Brick Work. This work adjoins Redford Colliery on the Slamannan Branch the N.B. Railway (near Bowhouse Station), from which there is a Branch Railway into the work. The work consists of a steam engine, pan mill, two drying stoves, two kilns, and other appliances. A supply of excellent fire-clay and coal can be obtained from the pit adjoining the work. There is also common clay on the ground. The works can be viewed, and particulars learned, application to Richard Grant, the Colliery; and offers will be received by Jas. Cadell & Co., Redford Colliery by Linlithgow, May next. 27th April 1876.
Below – 1896 – Candie and Redford Colliery. Possible site of the Redford Fire Brick Works.
Below – 10/01/1934 – The Scotsman – The late Mr John G Reid – The death took place at his home, Gowanbank, Falkirk, yesterday, of Mr John G. Reid, aerated water manufacturer, who was well known in business and sporting circles in central Scotland. Born at Slamannan, he was educated at Bathgate Academy, and for a time thereafter served with his father at the Redford Brickworks, Westfield. In 1876 he went to Falkirk and there established the Springfield Brickworks. In 1890 he opened up business as an aerated water manufacturer at the Crown Springs factory in Falkirk, and in this, he continued until his death. For a number of years, he was chairman of the Aerated Water Manufacturers Association for Stirlingshire. A keen sportsman, he was in his earlier years captain of the Linlithgow County Cricket Club, and later held the captaincy of the East Stirlingshire Cricket Club while he also was a member of the Grahamston Bowling Club and Falkirk Tryst Golf Club. He was for long one of the best-known breeders of Scottish terrier dogs in the country.
There is no evidence to indicate when these works closed. However, in 1952 a composite brickworks was opened on the same site. It did not become a profitable concern and was burdened by continued financial problems. After changing hands twice it finally closed in 1978.