Canmore Terally Brick and Tile Works, Terally, Logan, Dumfries and Galloway. Terally Brick and Tile Works were opened in circa 1840 and were closed in 1953. “Terally Brick and Tile Works” are marked on the OS Map of 1848. Donnachie describes Terally Brick and Tile Works as an “interesting small country tileworks, of the type…
Found at the Terally Brick and Tile Works
Logan, Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire
In the early-nineteenth century, Chapel Rossan was built as a house for the estate factor. The main building at Balgowan may have been erected as a dower house. Later in the century, Logan Tile Works, now a ruin, was established at Terally to provide bricks and tiles for local use. Source
An example of brick from a small local Wigtownshire estate brickworks. Tiles and bricks produced on such a small scale were generally used for agricultural improvements such as draining and building estate cottages.
A red moulded brick, stamped ‘LOGAN WORKS’ in oval depression.