Found at Manuel Works, Whitecross by Ian Suddaby. This example is not in my possession Stein, Castlecary Fireclay Works, Castlecary, Stirlingshire. Stein, Manuel Firebrick and Refractory Works, Whitecross, Stirlingshire. Stein & Co, Anchor Brickworks, Denny, Stirlingshire. Milnquarter Fireclay & Gannister Works, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire.
- Stein, Castlecary Fireclay Works, Castlecary, Stirlingshire.
- Stein, Manuel Firebrick and Refractory Works, Whitecross, Stirlingshire.
- Stein & Co, Anchor Brickworks, Denny, Stirlingshire.
- Milnquarter Fireclay & Gannister Works, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire.
1899 – Castlecary Fireclay Works were opened after a 31 year lease (with a further 31 year option) was signed with the Marquis of Zetland.
15/03/1904 – Production of the brand ‘Thistle’ began.
1905 – The company was incorporated as John G Stein and Co. (20/01/1905?)
10/08/1917 – Kilsyth Chronicle – There were prospects of a strike of Messrs Steins Castlecary Fireclay workers on Monday but acting on the advice of the Union officials a stoppage of work was in the meantime postponed. The workers are after considerable increases claiming that they are paid 8s less than the rates paid to similar workers under the Glenboig Company.
Below – 07/09/1917 – Daily Record – Wages dispute .
1919 – 1922 – Allandale village was built to provide housing for the work force at the Castlecary works.
17/01/1920 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – A ballot of the Castlecary Fireclay miners of Messrs J.G.Stein & Co has resulted in the majority voting for a strike to enforce recognition of the local union officials at this company’s High Bonnybridge Works where the miners are out on strike.
05/05/1922 – Kilsyth Chronicle – Fireclay Works close – The closing down of Messrs J.G Stein & Co’s extensive fireclay works at Castlecary, which had been threatened for sometime unless there was a spirited revival in trade has caused much disappointment all round. Messrs Stein have kept their works going through the bad times but stocks have accumulated to such an extent that a stoppage has been rendered necessary and it may be two or three months before a resumption of work is made.
Below – 27/02/1926 – Falkirk Herald – J.G.Steins workers gathering.
1927 – Castlecary laboratory was started.
1927 – Alan Stein takes over the company after the death of his father John Gilchrist Stein.
1928 – Dr Hyslop was the first chemist in charge of the laboratory.
Below – 23/02/1929 – Falkirk Herald – John G Stein annual social outing.
21/09/1929 – Falkirk Herald – Marquis of Zetlands visit – On Monday afternoon the Marquis of Zetland paid a visit to Castlecary Fire Clay Works of Messrs John G Stein Ltd. On his arrival he was met by Col. Stein and was conducted over the works. The Marquis showed great interest in the various departments of brickmaking.
Below – 04/04/1931 – Falkirk Herald – Employee’s reunion – Annual gathering of employee’s of Messrs John G Stein & Co – Col Stein and the trade outlook.
17/01/1936 – Kirkintilloch Gazette – Castlecary – Trade is exceedingly busy at Messrs Steins Fireclay Works at present. Extra accommodation is being provided.
22/05/1939 – Edinburgh Evening News – John G Stein & Co Ltd, Castlecary Fireclay Works are to give every employee who has 1 years service or over a weeks holiday with pay in the summer. Those with less than a years service will receive one days pay for every 2 months service.
14/06/1947 – Falkirk Herald – Men wanted for fire clay pit. Mining experience not essential, 6 weeks training given on trade union wages; after training energetic men can earn good wages on piece work – John G Stein & Co Ltd, Castlecary Works, Bonnybridge.
Below – 1950 – 1967 – Castlecary Fireclay Works.
03/11/1951 – Falkirk Herald – Electrician wanted; must be skilled in maintenance and repair of all types of motors. Maintenance men and machinists wanted. Must be members of the A.E.U. Apprentices also required to train in these trades. Apply to John Stein & Co, Castlecary Works, Bonnybridge.
01/1959 – New plant is built to manufacture cements and patches.
07/1960 – The production of the Myrtle, Bluebell and Daisy silica bricks ceases.
1965 – An early computer is installed at the works. This is believed to have been the first installed at a brickworks in Scotland.
12/1979 – Fire brick manufacture is closed down.
10/1981 – Cement and patch manufacture is closed down.