Allan & Mann Patent Glasgow found at an old gas works, Castle Ward, Co Down, Northern Ireland

The bricks were excavated at an archaeology survey at old gas works, Castle Ward, Co Down, Northern Ireland – carried out by the Ulster Archaeological Society

Allan & Mann, Port Eglinton, Glasgow C.1837 to 1887

Alternative brickworks include:

  • Rutherglen Pottery, Glasgow.
  • Mallsmire Works, Myrtle Park, Crosshill, Glasgow.

Archaeology notes at 4.5 on ULSTER ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY Survey Report: No. 24  –  The firebricks lining the ashpits displayed clearly readable maker’s marks in the frogs: ALLAN & MANN / PATENT / GLASGOW. A loose brick bears this legend on one side and the other frog is blank. Some bricks in situ present lettered and others blank frogs. Allan and Mann made common brick from 1837 to 1887 (Douglas: 15) and Hugh Allan’s diary (1867-70) reveals that their Rutherglen Pottery was largely occupied in fireclay production by 1867 (Hume: 3). Clay was transported from Rochsolloch and Govan pits for the purpose. The firm’s city office was at 48 Enoch Square, Glasgow, and sales outlets were established at Port Eglinton and Greenock.

allan and mann patent glasgow bricks

Similar articles