Found by Bob Trlin on the Cocos Islands, Australia. Jas Goldie & Son, Shawfield Toll, Glasgow, 1884 2019 – Bob states “We have just returned from the Cocos Islands located in the Indian Ocean half way between Perth and Sri Lanka. The Islands were settled in 1827 by the Clunies-Ross family and run as a copra…
Gilchrist and Goldie’s Woodend Brickwork – The main brickworks building stood on the west side of Crow Road just north of what is now Southbrae Drive but they also needed large areas of land round about in order to dry their bricks on huge tables. Part of their area extended to a large field on the opposite side of Crow Road. In 1869 there were no railway lines in the Jordanhill area but shortly afterwards North British Railway Company bought part of the brickworks site to build the 24 feet high embankment to carry the line between Hyndland and Anniesland Although this area had once belonged to the Jordanhill Estate it had been sold to the Oswalds of Scotstoun and there was also an abandoned ironstone pit within the brickworks boundary. The presence of that pit meant that there was also a ready supply of bing material for brickmaking.
The works produced around 2 million bricks per annum and many of them were used to build the houses on the east side of Crow Road.
Houses in King Edward Road, Milner Road and Selborne Road are known to be affected by settlement. It is generally assumed that the terrace of houses on the north side of Southbrae Drive between Crow Road and King Edward Road are badly affected by mine workings and many of the lintels above the doors and windows are no longer horizontal. The houses at the King Edward Road end of that terrace settled so badly many years ago that they had to be demolished and a new block of flats has since been built in their place. However Glasgow City Council geologists have stated that the settlement in this area is due to poor consolidation of fill material used to replace ground excavated in association with the local brick works in Crow Road and is not the fault of mine workings.
13/06/1861 – Glasgow Herald – Glasgow Agricultural Society Show – Bronze medal for land drain pipes – various sizes – Dods & Co, Woodend Brick & Tile Works, Partick
Below – 1867 – Advert – Thomas Leslie, Director and sole agent.
1867 – 1868 – Leslie Thomas, brick and tile maker, Woodend brick and tile works. House Annfield Terrace.
1867 – 1868 – John Ross, Manager, Woodend and Skaterigg brick and tile works. House Woodend.
30/04/1868 – Perthshire Advertiser – Sequestrations – Andrew Drummond Foulds, brick, pipe and tile manufacturer, Woodend, Claythorne and Skatterigg, Crow Road, Partick. Creditors to meet in Faculty Hall, Glasgow 1st May at 120’clock.
1883 – 1884 – William Gilchrist, Brickmaker, Woodend, Crow Road, Partick. House at work. Orders left with James Goldie & Son, 40 St Enoch Square, Glasgow
Below – 1896 – Woodend Brick Works, Jordanhill.
Below – Taken in the 1890’s. The men are standing in the gap which led to what is now Woodend Drive and the sign on the extreme right edge advertises the services for All Saints Church. The high building on the left was the Woodend Brickworks and the men are standing beside the old smithy.
Below – This is Woodend Cottage around 1900 and was the house for the manager of the local brickworks. The house was demolished to provide a site for Jordanhill Parish Church which was built in 1904.
….The Woodend Brickfield supplied building bricks for a series of cottages on Crow Road, built c 1885 for Scotstoun Estate. Though the cottages on Crow Road are often referred to as colliery cottages they have had very little to do with the mines. The colliery rows proper have long disappeared and consisted of Blue Row, Red Town, Skaterigg, the Double and Stores Row. The Blue Row was so named from the blue tiles on its walls ….. source p 33