Found at Auchenheath, Lanarkshire. John Allan & Son – Fire Clay Manufacturer, Barlinnie Fire Clay Works, Cumbernauld Road, Glasgow. . . . .
William Wilson, Brick and Tile Maker, Campbellfield, Glasgow
1825 – William Wilson, Brick and Tile Maker, Campbell Fields, Glasgow
1840 – 1841 – Wilson, William, brick and tile maker, builder and potter, 706 Gallowgate, ho. Campbellfield. Orders left at J. & E. Reid’s, 41 Argyll st
1841 – 1842 – Wilson, William, brick and tile maker, builder and potter, 706 Gallowgate, ho. Campbellfield. Orders left at J. & E. Reid’s, 41 Argyll st.
1843 – 1844 – William Wilson, Patent brick and tile maker, builder and potter, 706 Gallowgate, and Cavendish Street, Laurieston House, Campbellfield.
28/07/1849 – Glasgow Gazette -Scotch Bankrupt – William Wilson of Campbellfield (Campbellfield) brick and tile maker in Glasgow – Creditors to meet 6th and 27th August in Comries Royal Hotel, Queen street at noon.
01/02/1850 – Glasgow Herald – Going brick and tile work to let. Entry at Candlemas. The Cambuslang brick and tile work as possessed by Nr Wilson of Campbellfield, with buildings, machinery and fittings thereon. The quality of the clay is known to be excellent. The field is extensive and is near the Clydesdale Junction Railway. Thomas Cooper, Westburn House, will point out the premises and for further particulars apply to W.A. & J Graham, 42 George Square, Glasgow. January 1850
12/04/1850 – Glasgow Herald – To be sold by public roup – Within the Royal Exchange Sale Rooms, Glasgow on 24/04/1850 at 1 o’clock afternoon, the following subjects belonging to the sequestrated estate of Mr William Wilson, Campbellfield brick and tile maker in Glasgow. 1. All and whole lands of Campbellfield including part of the lands of Crownpoint lying on the south side of the Gallowgate of Glasgow and near to the Gallowgate Toll Bar, consisting of 6 acres, 23 falls and 20 yards or thereby Scots measure as the same have long been possessed by Mr Wilson as a brick and tile work, together with the dwelling house and offices, brick and pottery works and whole other buildings and erections thereon………
14/05/1850 – Greenock Advertiser – The lands of Campbellfield, six scotch acres with dwelling house, brick work etc situated near to Gallowgate Toll, ground annual £28 15s – sold at the upset price of £3500. ( This appears to have been sold privately prior to the scheduled auction date of 24/04/1850 as per the newspaper article above dated 12/04/1850)
23/10/1851 – Perthshire Advertiser – States of affairs – of William Wilson of Campbellfield, Brick and Tile Maker, Glasgow lie with Cunninghame Borthwick, Accountants, Glasgow.
1862 – 1863 – William Wilson & Son, patent brick and tile makers, builders, and potters ; works, Campbellfield, 740 Gallowgate, and Muirhouses, 354 Eglinton street; office, Campbellfield.
22/10/1869 – Glasgow Herald – Campbellfield Pottery to be sold or let. The clay, being exhausted, this Work will now be converted to suit a tenant. There is a 15hp engine and boiler, gearing etc on the ground. Apply to Robert Leiper at the Work or William Wilson, 51 Buchannan Street
15/03/1880 – Dundee Advertiser – New Prison for Glasgow – We understand that the Prison Board of Scotland have just acquired the site for the new prison which is to supersede the old and proverbially and familiar ‘Duke Street’. About 32 acres of the lands of Balinnine adjoining the village of Riddrie and 200 yards south of the Cumberland Road have been purchased from th eproprietor Mr Wilson of Campbellfield for the purpose of erecting thereon the vast penal establishment rendered necessary by the increasing number of our criminals and the restricted accommodation of the present Bridewell. Operations are forthwith to be commenced.
Below – 1858 – Campbellfield Brick Tile and Pottery Works Glasgow
Below – 1858 – Campbellfield Brick Tile and Pottery Works Glasgow
THE PRACTICAL BRICK AND TILE BOOK
ADDITION.AL REMARKS ON THE MANUFACTURE OF BRICKS BY MACHINERY. (Pages 210-244) By Robert Mallet, A.M., F.E.S.
.......The last of this class which we shall notice is the dry-clay machine of Wilson, of Campbellfield Brickworks, Glasgow, which was exhibited in action at the Exhibition of 1862. The peculiarity of working of this machine is, that the dry and pulverised clay prepared for being made into brick is carried along automatically to the hopper, and, just before being delivered into it, is subjected to being blown upon by the waste steam discharged from the non-condensing engine which drives the machine. The result is a slight condensation of steam on and in the pores of the clay, and a slight warming of the clay itself. From this arises a much-increased tendency to rapid and perfect agglutination in the clay when submitted to pressure in this state, between wet and dry, and a much readier expulsion of the air involved in the mass. There is not the slightest doubt of the great advantage derived from this very simple mode of treating the dry clay prior to compression. There are several contrivances in Mr. Wilson's machine, as to details, also of value, especially one by which the maximum pressure possible is so regulated that the destruction of the machine is guarded against. One great improvement yet remains to be made to render perfect dry-clay brickmaking machines, namely,to adapt to them the same method that was employed by Mr. Brockedon in his patent for compressing dry powder of plumbago into a dense and solid block to be sawed into pencils, namely, the operating the compression in a vacuum, so that the air involved between the particles of dry clay (or dust, if quite dry) being thus extracted, the mechanical pressure is free to act fully and solely in producing condensation and agglutination of the clay particles. Source *****************************************
Staff from AOC Archaeology Group have uncovered remains associated with the Campbellfield Pottery during fieldwork in Glasgow’s East End. Evaluation trenches excavated at the site at David Street revealed what may be the base of one of the kilns. This work was undertaken as a condition of planning consent on the advice of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service.
The Campbellfield pottery was operated at this site by William Wilson (1827-1849), a partnership (1849-1856), William Wilson Jnr. (1856-1874), and William Rankine Currie (1874-1881). Its various buildings and structures were depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1861, an extract from which appears at the top of this article. On this map, it is possible to identify a round structure standing separate from the other buildings, possibly representing a kiln. The Campbellfield Pottery Co. Ltd. moved production to a site in Springburn in the 1880s, and ceased production in 1901. The site of the pottery was extensively landscaped during the 1970s, but it was felt that solidly constructed structures such as kilns could have survived this process, and this proved to be the case. Evidence of kiln furniture, plus a number of wares marked with the Campbellfield stamp, has also been recovered from the site.
Following the identification of what appeared to be a kiln base during the evaluation, an additional phase of fieldwork was undertaken on the site. A larger area was opened around the possible kiln structure, both to look for additional structural evidence, and to explore the possibility that sherds of waste pottery may have been dumped into the pits from which clay had been extracted. This phase of work is nearing completion, and a report outlining the results will be submitted in due course. Source