16/02/1847 – Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser – Turriff Brick and Tile Work – All articles in the line are now manufactured at this Work, among which may be enumerated, bricks, pan tiles, drain tiles of all sizes; pipes, for conveying water, made to order, any size and rough or closed jointed; chimney cans and garden pots. Any other article in the line will be made on receiving a description of its size and shape. All orders are punctually supplied early in the summer. Applications to be addressed to the manager at Turriff. 15/02/1847
08/08/1850 – Stirling Observer – Highland and Agricultural Society’s Grand Show in Glasgow – For the best apparatus or machine for cutting the ends of drain pipes so as to form a continuous and permanent connection without the use of collars, 3 sovs, to James Wallace, Manager, Turiff Tile Works, Turiff.
26/11/1850 – Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser – Turriff Tile Work – Drain tiles and pipes of the best quality and of all sizes usually made, may be supplied from this tile work during the present season. House tiles if not on hand, will be made to order. For information as to prices etc, application may be made to James Wallace at the Works. Turriff 12/08/1850
07/02/1865 – Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser – Trade in Turriff – ……..a few new arts and trades have also been introduced , such as photography, house painting and paper hanging, coach painting and the manufacture of brick and tiles but these, with the exception of the last, add but little to the aggregate trade of Turriff. The brick and tile work was called into existence to supply the demand for drain tiles, consequent on the disbursement of large Government grants for agricultural improvement:but although these are now mostly expended in locality, yet, under the able management of Mr Wallace, it is likely to remain a permanent institution.
1868 – 1871 – Brick and Tile Works Turriff – Mr. Wallace Tenant George Robertson, Turriff James Scott Turriff. The Kiln of this work is almost in ruins, but it is still in use, there are six Men regularly employed in it, the Clay used is said to be very good, it is brought from the Clay pit. Situated near to the Market Ground, they are about Forty Chains Apart.
1878 – FIfe trustees – Brick Tile and Drainpipe makers, Turriff, Aberdeenshire. James Wallace Manager (Same Works?)
Brick making became a successful business and in the 19th century more brickworks sprang up in and around Aberdeen: Torry Brickworks Company (ca.1849-1876), Northern Patent Brick and Tile Works, Pitmuxton (ca.1867-1883) which moved to Torry and carried on till 1890. There was also the Esslemont Brick and Tile Company; Gray & Marr at Ellon; Fyvie family-run Turriff based drainpipe manufacturers; Peter Mortimer & Company and Kennow at Huntly and a tile works in Logie Buchan. This was when Annand & Company at Old Seaton was changed into Seaton Brick & Tile Company. Sometime before 1803 George Allan took over from Robert Cay (mentioned in 1778 as the tenant of Annand).
Below – 1870 – 1871 – Turriff brick and tile works.