These drains and collars were found by Ian Suddaby in Fife near to Inverkeithing. They show evidence of snap lines. At least 3 of these pipes would have been extruded at the same time from the pipe making machine. They would be connected by a thin strip of clay and fired together. After firing they…
Terally Brick and Tile Works, Terally, Logan, Dumfries and Galloway
Terally Brick and Tile Works were opened in circa 1840 and were closed in 1953. “Terally Brick and Tile Works” are marked on the OS Map of 1848. Donnachie describes Terally Brick and Tile Works as an “interesting small country tile works, of type once common in Galloway”. Tile Works Cottages, which are situated to the south-west, were built as workers’ housing for the Works; they are listed separately, and were formerly listed as “Terally Brick and Tile Works”. Coal for use at the Works was brought in by sea and was stored at the
Coal Store, Terally Bridge, which is situated to the north-east, and is listed separately.
Opened circa 1840. Remains of brick and tile works. 2-chambered rectangular downdraught kiln, circa 1900. Red brick with cream brick margins and wallhead course. Battered side walls. 2 barrel-vaulted chambers; each with round-arched opening to W; E wall of each largely removed; 4 fire-boxes to each chamber. Remains of tapering square-plan chimney, circa 1900. Red brick with cream brick quoins. Metal framework. Rectangular-plan tall brick shed (probably for housing machinery). Machinery doors to gabled E and W elevations. Corrugated metal roof.
Flooded clay-pits nearby. Date Listed: 16 March 1994
Logan, Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire – In the early-nineteenth century, Chapel Rossan was built as a house for the estate factor. The main building at Balgowan may have been erected as a dower house. Later in the century, Logan Tile Works, now a ruin, was established at Terally to provide bricks and tiles for local use. Source
A Late Bronze Age penannular gold armlet Irish type 2, was found in 1941 hidden in the structure of a shed which was being dismantled at a tile-works on the Logan estate. When or how it got there is unknown but it may be presumed to have been unearthed in the adjacent clay-pit or in the sand brought to the tilery from the shore close by. It was in the collection of Mr A K McDougall of Logan, which was sold in 1948, and is understood to have gone to California.
R B K Stevenson 1950; J M Coles 1962
The tile-works is at NX 121 407 but the original find spot could not be ascertained. Mr A K McDougall is now dead and his collection was dispersed in 1949.
1845 – 1849 – This name applies to a place where Brick & Tile is made. These works are for the use to accommodate the farmers on Logan Estate for buildings and other Agricultural purposes etc. A
portion of land shewn on Trace is at present made use of as Clay holes, Brick field, Drying shades, Clay Tempering Machine Kiln, Coal house & 3 dwelling houses Occupied by overseer & other
workmen. The drain Tiles are shaped by a machine which moulds about 8000 ft. a day attended by one Clay wheeler Turner & feeder & 4 [men] Moulding. These works give employment to 4 Men & 6 Boys. Tiles, Bricks etc. of all descriptions are made here. They are on the farm of Terally.”
Note that 2000ft is equivalent to 1.5 linear miles. (2000ft may be incorrect but it is definitely not 8000ft as per the transcript)
17/07/1875 – Glasgow Herald – John Crawford, Logan Tile Works wins 1st prize for making butter at the Stranraer and Rhins of Galloway Agricultural Society show.
19/01/1878 – Belfast Telegraph – Sloop for sale – The sloop Willam & Nancy, as she at present lies at the harbour of Drumore; carries 55 tons on a light draught of water and sails without ballast. She is well found and ready to go to sea at once, the owners within the last 12 months having fitted fitted her out with a first class set of new sails and also a new main boom. There is also a set of first class wire rigging ready to put on, as the owners did not intend selling only for reasons which will be explained to intending offers. Mr Alexander McGuffle, Harbour Pilot, Drumore will show the vessel to intending offerers. Any further particulars will be learned on applying to the owners Messrs J & P Crawford, Logan Tile Works, Port Logan. 08/01/1878
1903 – P Crawford, brick and tile maker, Tirally, Port Logan, Stranraer
1912 – 1913 – William McGuffog, Brick and Tile Maker, Logan Tile Works, Portlogan
06/10/1946 – Sunday Post – The Tile and Brick Works at Kirkmaiden, Galloway closed during the 1914 – 1918 was will be in full operation by the spring. ( Note: Believed to be the Terally Works)
1949 – 1950 – A & L Douglas Ltd, Terally Tile Works, Port Logan by Stranraer, TA – ALDouglas. Phone Ardwell 34
Below – 1848 – Terally Brick and Tile Works, Port Logan, formerly Wigtownshire.
Below – 1894 – Terally Brick and Tile Works, Port Logan, formerly Wigtownshire.
Below – 1906 – Terally Brick and Tile Works, Port Logan, formerly Wigtownshire.
Below – C 1946 – 1951 – Terally Brick and Tile Works, Port Logan, formerly Wigtownshire.
Below – Photographs of the tile works taken 09/02/2016
Below – 2 separate water filled clay pits
Below – the chimney and the 4 or 5 horizontal bricks in the middle of the second photo are part of the curved top of the underground flue connecting the kilns to the chimney.
Below – the slatted floor was made from ‘Atlas’ firebricks and special shapes.
Below – the special shaped Atlas bricks which formed the kiln floor
Below – The brick kiln.
Below – A cottage on the side of the old clay pit.
The following items were seen on site and are believed to be products of the Logan / Terally Brick and Tile Works
Below – Logan Works brick
Below – assortment of tiles found on site.
Below – Flat base 5″ wide, pipe max width 6″, height 7 1/4 “, length 14”
Below- Flat base 3 1/2″, pipe max width 5″, height 5 3/4″, length unknown (broken)
Below- Flat base 3″, pipe max width 3 3/4″, height 3 3/4 “, length 13”
Below – Round pipe 3″ diam, Length 13″
Below- Flat base and top 1 3/4″, Max pipe width 2 3/4″, height 3″, length 13″
Below- Floor tile Approx 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″, 1 3/4″ deep
Below- Unmarked brick – 9″long, 4 1/2″ wide, just under 3″ deep.
Left – Unusual oversized cored ‘brick’ 19″ x 4″ by 11 1/2″ deep – 14 cores.
Right – Cored brick 8″ long, 4 ” wide, 3 1/4″ deep – 14 cores.
and this poorly made and fired unmarked tapered brick
It is interesting to note that the following ‘imported’ fire bricks were also found on site.
Eglinton fire clay works – Kilwinning
Etna – Etna Brickworks, Armadale, West Lothian
Forth, Phenix and a Campbell baby fire clay brick – all from Roughcastle Fire Clay Works, Bonnybridge
Atlas – Atlas Brickworks, Bathville, Armadale, West Lothian
Wilson Broughton Moor – Flimby & Broughton Moor Coal & Firebrick Co. Ltd., Cumbria
During the course of this research I have found ‘Terally’ spelt Terally, Tirally, Teraillie and Tyrawley and I am sure there will be more variations still.