These drains and collars were found by Ian Suddaby in Fife near to Inverkeithing. They show evidence of snap lines. At least 3 of these pipes would have been extruded at the same time from the pipe making machine. They would be connected by a thin strip of clay and fired together. After firing they…
Canmore – Tarrasfoot Tile Works, Dumfries & Galloway – The Duke of Buccleuch started Tarrasfoot Tile Works in the early 19th century. The works produced drain tiles that were mainly used on the Buccleuch estate. The works closed in 1969 and by 1975 the buildings were used for storage. There were four fireboxes in the two-chamber Newcastle kiln. Each chamber had two fireboxes, and the heat produced by the burning of fuel in these boxes was used to heat drain tiles in the kiln. The tall chimney of the kiln drew heat through each chamber. Developments in the draining of fields in the early 19th century led to there being a huge demand for draining tiles. The development of plastic field drain pipes during the 20th century was a major factor which led to the decline of Scottish drain tile works.
Note 09/11/2014 – only the kiln and a sandstone outbuilding where the raw clay was milled and prepared for firing in the kiln.
Examples of ‘D’ shaped drainage tiles of various sizes have been found at the site. – link
Although the works did not appear to make bricks, the following bricks have been found on site and would have been used in the kiln and surrounding buildings.
Scottish bricks – J & M Craig, J & M Craig Kilmarnock, Atlas, Preston Grange, Hurll, Hurlford Kilmarnock, Dewar and Whitehill and one was found where the mark ends possibly ‘G’ then ‘LE’ – possible Eagle.
Info – It had been hoped to open the extension from Canobie (later called Canonbie) to Langholm by November 1863, but this was delayed due to problems in completing the twelve-arch Tarras viaduct. A goods siding was provided at the south side of the viaduct to serve the Tarrasfoot tile works adjacent to the line here and the Glen Tarras distillery which had opened on the north bank of the River Tarras (a tributary of the River Esk) in 1839 .
03/03/1854 – Carlisle Journal – Tile Burner Wanted – Wanted – a tile burner for Tarras-foot tile works, Cannobie. Particulars may be learnt by applying to Mr Connell, Chamberlain to his Grace the Duke of Buccleuch, Irvine House, Langholm.
29/06/1866 – Carlisle Journal – To tile burners. Wanted immediately, a first class workman for his Grace the Duke of Buccleuch’s Steam Tile Works, Tarras Foot, Langholm. Apply to Mr Joseph Rush, the Contractor, Solway Junction Brick Works, Abbey Holme.
1867 – Tarras Foot Tile Works – Canonbie. Owner Duke of Buccleuch . Joseph Rush Contractor and Manager.
19/08/1869 – The Scotsman – The Duke and Dumfriesshire – This years additions to the independent electors.Joseph Rush, tenant of the tile works, Canonbie. Manager for the Duke (Buccleuch). Valued at £25
1875 – Tarrace Tile Works -(Tarras Foot ? – to be confirmed) Canonbie 5 1/2 miles. Skellen and Farish
1878 – Tarrace Tile Works -(Tarras Foot ? – to be confirmed) Canonbie 5 1/2 miles. Skellen and Farish
1893 – William Tweddle Manager Tarra Foot Tile Works
1893 – 96 – Tarras Tileworks : Langholm : J. Tweedle, manager.
1903 – Tarras Foot Tile Works – William Tweddle Manager, Langholm
At some point the kiln has been girdled in an iron support frame – see below
Info and photographs below are from William Tweddle, the son of William Murray Tweddle. William, then aged 7, left the Tileworks in 1969 when his father finished work there. This was truly a family vocation covering 4 generations.