Spigot and socket clay water pipes

The following spigot and socket clay water pipes were kindly donated by Dave Walsh.

These clay pipes were used to transport water and were recovered from a copper mine associated with the Wellhouse, Bridge of Allan, Stirling. These pipes basically each have a female and male end with the male end fitting into the female end of the next pipe and so on.

Dave states – It was Stevenson and Bald who project managed the installation of the pipes and underground works on behalf of Lord Abercromby.

This is a link to a video showing the pipes in situ – click me

Bridge of Allan Well House project – Facebook page

“The closure of Sir Robert Abercromby’s Airthrey copper mine in 1807 led eventually to Abercromby opening up the mine again in 1820 clearing it of debris but this time for the purpose of developing the mineral waters that flowed through the mine. And the beginning of Bridge of Allan as a Spa.

A Pump Room and Well House was built over one of the old mine shafts in 1821 to pump up the mineral water to the surface.
Here, adventurous Victorian visitors could descend ladders (long gone) to walk along the tunnels to see the springs & see where the miners had fought hard to get at the minerals.”

The manufacturer of these pipes is unknown but it must have surely been fairly local to the mine.

Below – Two pipes of different lengths. Top one is 17¾” and the bottom is 19½”.

Below – The male end of both have an internal diameter of 2¼” and an outside diameter of 2¾”. The ‘collar’ on the right example appears to be a piece of cemented pipe from the pipe this fitted into. It is not a collar associated with this pipe design.

Below – The female end of the longer pipe has a step-down reducer.

Below – The female end of the shorter pipe has a tapered opening.

Below – A close up on the ribbed surfaces to both pipes.