This is a list of Scottish brickmakers, brickworks and brick managers and agents as gleaned from numerous internet documents. They are listed here as they have no known brickmark or stamp or at least one has not as yet been found and photographed. Once an entry here is confirmed as having an associated brickmark then I will move it to the SCOTTISH BRICKMARKS LIST. Listed here too are brickmarks that are believed to exist but as yet I have not come across an actual example or photograph – so you may have a maker listed below and alongside, a similar name but this could be the brickmark that is thought to exist. There will be duplicates here but they will have been added as they have been gleaned from different sources and thus may have slightly different details.
I have also added addresses that are listed for the brickmaker which I assume are an office, depot or salesroom addresses – eg many companies appear to have addresses in St Vincent Street, Glasgow.
I have also added known brick names from already recorded companies but as yet these bricks have not been found – possibly due to them being unmarked. The names are known to exist as they are mentioned in promotional catalogues etc
I have added them all to assist with future research.
Please feel free to point out any mistakes.
There are hundreds to list so this will take time – ongoing when I can.
- KERSHEAT – Unidentified brickworks (Kershead?)
- L C ROSE – Brick manufacturer, 48 Gordon Road, Edinburgh
- LP – Unidentified brickworks – referred to in the booklet but not the online list
- MCKINLAY WALTER AND CO – Fire brick maker, 34 Trafalgar Place, Glasgow 1819
- MCCREADIE AND NIXON – Brickmakers 10 Monteith Row, Glasgow. Page 559 – 1837
- MCNAB & MCNAIR – Brickmakers, Mollisburn Street, Springburn, Glasgow
- MILCONA – brickworks unknown, possibly not Scottish. Referred to in the booklet but not the online list
- MITCHELL AND CLARKE – Brickmakers, 67 Hope Street, Glasgow 1908 – 09
- NCB AUCHINLEA – possible, no known brickmark but listed as an NCB Brickwork.
- NCB BANK – possible, no known brickmark but listed as an NCB Brickwork.
- NCB BLAIRADAM – possible, no known brickmark but listed as an NCB Brickwork.
- NCB BRUCEFIELD – possible, no known brickmark but listed as an NCB Brickwork.
- NCB CALLENDAR – possible, no known brickmark but listed as an NCB Brickwork.
- NCB NORTHFIELD – possible, no known brickmark but listed as an NCB Brickwork.
- PAISLEY BRICK COMPANY – 12 Sty Mirren Street, Paisley (p124) 1900
- PAISLEY BRICK COMPANY – 12 St. Mirren st. Paisley
- PATERSON J AND M AND CO – Fire brick maker, 30 Trafalgar Place, Glasgow 1819
- R BELL – Brickmaker, opposite Barracks, Gallowgate, Glasgow (1810)
- R & G MARSHALL – Brickmakers, Camlachie, Glasgow page 563 – 1837
- RANKIN INDUSTRIES LTD – Brickmakers, 175 West George Street, Glasgow. TA Bricks Glasgow
- RICHARDSON & CO – Jamaica Street, Glasgow
- ROBERT ALLAN – Range Brick Maker, Macnair Street, Shettleston. 1910 – 1911
- ROBERT AITKEN – Brickmaker, Camlachie, Glasgow page 4 1807 – 1809
- ROBERT BELL – Brickmaker and Builder, Opposite the Barracks, Gallowgate. Page 10. 1807 – 1809
- ROBERT BOUSTED – 34 Robertson Street, Glasgow
- ROBERT CRIGHTON – Coal and Brick Agent, Barras, Lochmaben
- ROBERT HILLCOAT – Brick and Drain, Tile maker, Moss Vale, Paisley
- ROBERT RUSSELL – Brickmaker Kelvin Grove, Glasgow page 569 – 1837
- ROBERT SMITH – Brickmaker, 7 Moore Street, Glasgow 1828
- ROBERT THOMSON – Brick and Tile Maker, Brownhill, Dumfries
- RUSSELL THOMAS & SON – (makers’ agents for magnesite, and chrome bricks), 166 Buchanan at., C 1
- SCOTT & RAE LTD – Fireclay Manufacturer, Office 140 St Vincent Street, Glasgow. Depot 348 West Street. 1934 – 1935
- TAYLOR MCCREATH & CO – (firebricks, and terra cotta bricks), 30 Jamaica Street, Glasgow 1936
- THE PAISLEY BRICK CO – 12 St Mirren Street, Glasgow 1908 – 09
- THOMAS FRAZER – Brickmaker, Gallowgate, Glasgow
- WM LYON – Brickmaker, 26 Wilsons Park, Portobello 1870 – 1871. P 132
- W MACLEOD & CO – Fireclay Manufacturer, 60 – 64 Robertson Street, Glasgow 1934 – 1935
- WALLACE, MCKINNON &WILSON – Brick and Tile Makers, Greenyards, Cumbernauld 1878
- WARNOCK & HORSBURGH – Brickmakers, 33 Farie Street, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire
- WILLIAM ANDERSON – Brickmaker and Builder, 503 Gallowgate, Glasgow 1873 – 1874
- WILLIAM ANDERSON – Brickmaker, East end of Gallowgate, Glasgow. 1816
- WILLIAM BOLE – Brickmaker and Builder, 69 East Neilson Street, Glasgow.1873 – 1874
- WILLIAM BOLE – Brickmaker, 75 East Neilson Street, Camlachie, Glasgow 1882
- WILLIAM CALDER – Tile maker, Kirkmuirhill Tile Works. (Agricultural Drainage pipes) Glasgow Office 82 West Nile Street. 1910 – 1911
- WILLIAM HAMILTON & SONS – Fireclay, silica, chrome magnesite – 93 West George Street, Glasgow
- WILLIAM HODGE – Brickmaker Porter Street, Glasgow. Ho 4 Great Eastern Road. 1858 – 1859
- WILLIAM KIRKWOOD – Brick and fire clay manufacturers, Winston Buildings, Harbour, Ardrossan, Ayrshire
- WILLIAM MCCOME – Brickmaker, Gallowgate, Glasgow page 88 (1810) and page 74 1807 – 1809
- WILLIAM MCCKECHNIE – Brickmaker, Gallowgate, Glasgow page 95 (1810) and 1816
- WILLIAM MCMILLAN – Brick manufacturer, Orchard Place, Wishaw 1893
- WILLIAM WILSON – Firebrick and Tile maker, 140 Trongate, Glasgow page 576 – 1837