Many thanks to Terrence Honore and the Palmiste Historical Society for the following information. These Scottish bricks were found on the Cedar Grove, Canaan Palmiste Estates, Trinidad. They were formerly owned by Scotsmen like the Lamonts. A chimney of bricks from that era 1810, still stands, along with bridges and a few other structures. The…
22/03/1865 – Glasgow Herald – Gilchrist & Goldie V Christie & Co – Sheriff Court – This was an action raised at the instance of Messrs Gilchrist and Goldie, brickmakers, Sandyacres, Langside Road, Glasgow against Messrs Christie & Co, 116 St Vincent Street, Glasgow and Mr Peter Christie, Kent Road, Glasgow. Summary of the case – on 30/01/1865, to loss and damage sustained by us in consequence of your having failed duly to take delivery of and pay for 44,000 machine bricks purchased by you from us in or about May 1864 (less 18,934 short shipped) for shipment per Despeche for Demerara, in terms of agreement, whereby we have sustained a loss of £12 17s 8d – restricted to £12 … These bricks had been sent to the Broomielaw for shipment per the ship Despeche and some were actually on board the ship.
1867 – Gilchrist & Goldie, Brick Makers, Langside Road, Glasgow.
William Gilchrist, Brick Maker, 256 Eglinton Street, Glasgow – Gilchrist & Goldie.
1869 – 1870 – Gilchrist & Goldie, brick and drain pipe makers, Woodend and Claythorn, Crow Road, Partick and Sandyacres, Langside Road, Glasgow. Orders and letters addressed to Crow Road, Partick, Glasgow.
1871 – 1872 – Gilchrist & Goldie, brick and tile makers, Sandyacres, Langside Road and Crow Road, Partick; Office Crow Road, Partick.
1873 – 1874 – Gilchrist and Goldie, Brickmakers, Sandyacres, Crosshill, Glasgow.
20/04/1877 – North British Daily Mail – Suburban burghs. Crosshill – new works in the vicinity. Several works have just been begun in the near neighbourhood of the burgh, which will add nothing to its salubrity. At the eastern extremity of the road leading directly from Queen Mary’s Avenue, in the low grounds below Mount Florida, a large brickfield is commenced by Mr Allan Mann, and another in close proximity by Mr Hugh Mclntyre. With those already established on the opposite side of the Polmadie Road, the inhabitants of Mount Florida, particularly in the east end, will certainly have the full benefit of the undesirable fumes when the kilns are lighted, whenever the wind blows from the eastward, which is generally about a third of the year. Another brickwork is in course of formation by Messrs Gilchrist & Goldie, who have long carried on this business at Sandyacres, on the old Langside Road. It is situated on Coplawhill, close to the east side of Victoria Road and immediately south and to the rear of the Victoria Swimming Baths. The lands are the property of the Glasgow Corporation, and were for many years occupied by Messrs Austin & McAuslane as a part of their nurseries, but have been leased by the above firm, who are at present erecting an engine-house and other necessary buildings for prosecuting the work. It was imagined that feuing for house-building would have begun there before now, but the formation of this work must postpone such for an indefinite period …
1884 -85 – Goldie, James & Son, brickmakers; Works, Sandyacres, Langside road, Coplawhill, Victoria Road, Shawfield Toll, Rutherglen Road, and Woodend, Crow Road, Partick.