Old Aberdeen brick kilns, Aberdeen – To be read in conjunction with the Seaton Brick and Tile Co). Nothing is now visible of this brickworks, and its site lies in an area that has been landscaped as a golf course. The works are first depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire,…
The exact location of these brickworks appears to be unknown.
Below – 07/07/1802 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – The partnership of the firm Caie and Allan is dissolved – Robert Caie and William Allan. Robert Caie is carrying on the manufacture of bricks, tiles and pavement at the work occupied by his late father for which orders will be received at his shop.
Below – 12/10/1803 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – To be sold by public roup, on Friday the 28th October at 6 o’clock in the evening, in the house of George Ronald, vintner in Aberdeen. The lands lying on the East side of Old Aberdeen, extending from the Gaws or Channel upon the West to the Tyle Burn on the East, including the claypits, with the dwelling house, offices, barn, stable, kill, mill and tyle benches used for a brick and tyle manufactory, all belonging in property to Alexander Annand & Co and formerly occupied by them and afterwards by Mr Robert Caie and now by Mr George Allan, their tenants. The lands consist of above 7 acres, to the value of which the new road to the Don in the line of King Street, passing very near their western boundary, must add greatly; as must likewise the increased demand which the extension of the town of Aberdeen will occasion for the articles manufactured at this work. The title deeds and articles of sale, may be seen in the hands of James McCook, Advocate in Aberdeen.
Below – 03/07/1805 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – Robert Caie respectfully intimated that he has established a brickwork immediately North of that of Messrs Mole and Co, where he has now ready for delivery, a quantity of bricks of a quality which he can with confidence recommend. He flatters himself his former experience in that line and his retaining careful and experienced servants will enable him in general to furnish an article that will merit public approbation. Orders for bricks will be duly attended to if left at his hardware shop, Castle Street, his wood yard Pynernook or at the work. N.B. a genteel and commodious flat in Carmelite Street to let. Entry immediately. Apply as above or to Mr Clerhihew, builder.
Below – 03/02/1808 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – Alexander Smith, ironmonger moves from Netherkirkgate to the shop in Castle Street lately possessed by Mr Robert Caie … Alexander Smith continues to receive orders for Peter Nicholl and Company’s Brickwork, Old Aberdeen, as formerly.
(Note – SBH – This may be an alternative spelling of Peter Nicol)