(Note – SBH – This page should be read in conjunction with the pages dedicated to the Sanquhar Brick and Tile Works and the Fauldhead Collieries Brick Works) 1885 – 1891 The history of Sanquhar – Buccleuch Terracotta Works – Meanwhile, a lease of the original brick field, which belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch,…
The Brick Works were situated on the South East side of the Iron Works. They supplied fireclay bricks for the blast furnace linings and taphole clay. Once the railways arrived higher grade firebricks were brought in and firebrick manufacture at Muirkirk ceased. (Date unknown).
1788 – Muirkirk Iron Works were erected at Muirkirk, Ayrshire.
1789 – Canal basin constructed next to the Iron Works for the supply of coal and limestone etc.
27/07/1801 – Caledonian Mercury – Land for sale with abundance of minerals – … The farms of Upper and Middle Wellwoods and Grasshills and West Glenbuck…. Materials for building and fire clay for bricks are in great abundance in different parts of these grounds and there are good turnpike roads lately made from these grounds to the sea ports of Glasgow, Ayr and Leith……
26/09/1804 – Morning Post – Extensive Iron Works for sale at Muirkirk. The advert references the Works and buildings but there is no mention of a brickwork?
16/03/1839 – Leeds Mercury – Muirkirk IronWorks for sale £20,000 – including Brick stove and kiln, clay mill steam engine and boiler.
28/07/1848 – Glasgow Herald – The opening of the Cumnock extension railway to Muirkirk…….there are two blast furnaces built upon the latest and most approved principle under the judicious superintendence of Mr Andrew Craig, the mangaer. The bricks used fro these buildins are of a very superior quality and are all manufactured upon the ground……
1856 – Muirkirk Iron Compoany was bought over by the Eglinton Iron Company which was a company owned by William Baird and Company.
c.1923 – Iron Works closed.