Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood, Carluke, South Lanarkshire

Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood, Carluke.

John McDonald operated the works which were situated on the opposite side of the road from Scott’s Tea Room.

They operated from c. 1886 – c. 1920 and manufactured composition and fire bricks.

Partners Charles McDonald and William Barr dissolved partnership 30th April 1910.

McDonald bricks were used to build the machine foundations of the Terracotta Works at Cleghorn.

Canmore

Below- 1886 – John McDonald, Composition and fireclay brick manufacturer, Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood, Carluke.

Below – 1896 – Meadow Brickworks, Carluke.

 

1897 – 1898 – John McDonald & Son, Meadow Brickworks, Braidwood. Composition and fireclay manufacturers. Also all kinds of Chamford and stable bricks, cattle troughs, byre grouping, horse mangers, sewerage pipes, ventilating traps, chimney cans etc

Below – 09/11/1898 – John McDonald  & Son letterhead – Composition and fire brick maker, Braidwood, Carluke

” Cattle troughs, byre groopings, piggery bricks etc. Horse mangers, Chamfered and diamond stable bricks. Sewage glazed pipes and traps, chimney cans etc. Roofing tiles, ridge tiles, paving tiles, garden edging, wall cope, ground fireclay etc. Vent linings, flue covers, vases etc and all kinds of fire clay goods. Not responsible for breakage by the Railways.”

mcdonald meadow brickworks carluke

1903 –  McDonald John. Meadow brick works, Braidwood, Carluke.

24/07/1909 – Carluke and Lanark Gazette – Article re a break in to the offices of teh Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood. Reference to Samuel Crawfors, Mount Stewart Street, Carluke being the foreman and Charles McDonald being a senior partner in the firm owning the brickworks.

Below – 1910 – Meadow Brick Works.

30/04/1910 – The business of John McDonald, Son, & Company, Composition Brick and Fire Clay Manufacturers, Meadow Brick Works, Braidwood, Carluke. Partners Charles McDonald and William Barr dissolved partnership

 

 

 

Tagged with: , ,

Similar articles