Found by Max Borland at Clydebank, Glasgow. Afton Brickworks, New Cumnock, Ayrshire. . . . .
Lanemark brickworks appear to have been renamed Afton Brickworks at a later date as both appear to have been present on the same site.
Below – 26/05/1893 – Adrossan and Saltcoats Herald – Visit to Lanemark Brickworks. Mr Roberts Manager.
Below – 1908 – Lanemark Brickworks
Below – Aerial view of Lanemark brickworks. They were situated below the buildings on the south side of the railway line. The buildings are the ‘new’ Afton Brick Works which were built c.1927.
The following research was carried out by Dr Jimmy Begg and is reproduced by kind permission.
Lanemark Coal Company:
1865 – formed. The following year, the Board took a lease on the Afton Estate minerals,
1871 – sinking Afton No 1 Pit (Burnfoot),
1872 – Afton No 2 (Bogside – near site of disused Afton Brickworks). “Coal briquettes were made
from the small coal that did not sell readily, kilns produced the “Lanemark” brick for their housing
projects. Burnfoot and Knowetop were bult in the 1870s plus small rows at Bogside and Lanemark
Cottages. The Boig road was dotted with officials’ houses, Ardnith, Fernbank, Woodend, and
Connelwood, the last named serving as the company offices.” (George Sanderson – New Cumnock
Long Ago and Far Away).
1895 – Afton No 3 (Rigfoot – the deepest pit in Scotland – higher than the Empire State Building!)
1908 – Company collapsed and assets were acquired by William Hyslop of Bank Estate. Rigfoot Pit
(Afton No3) was closed down by NCCLtd in 1909 due to flooding. The Lanemark Brickworks next to
Bogside (Afton No3) was also closed at the same time, as they had their own brickwork at Bank.
Bogside Pit continued to be worked by NCCLtd until 1928 when it was closed after flooding. (George
Sanderson – New Cumnock Long Ago and Far Away).