Canmore (These work may have been connected in business with the Jenny Lind Composition Brickworks – Source – Survey of Scottish Brickmarks) 12/01/1889 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Glasgow Western Infirmary. The secretary begs to acknowledge, with thanks, receipt of the following contribution from Carfin Coal Co, Carfin Colliery and Brickwork, Motherwell – £2…
Source 1981 – Jenny Lind Brickworks, also known as Carfin Colliery Brickworks, A Jeffrey and Co. Ltd
This works made common bricks which were marked JENNY LIND, by the early to mid 1960s, the making of bricks had stopped and the site became A Jeffrey and Co. Ltd producers of ‘Synthetic Moulding Sands, Crushed Fireclay Grog, Graded Refactory Sands’. The products were produced in crushers and Wet Pan Mills
The kilns have been demolished and the buildings from the brickworks period which survive are now altered to suit the present process and no trace of the brickworks can easily be recognised.
These Works are now part of Steeley Ceramics Division, Carfin.
Source 2013 – This brickworks is first depicted and named on the 1897 surveyed OS Map as ‘Jenny Lind Brick Works’ and subsequently as ‘Jenny Lind Composition Works’ by which time it was presumably milling fireclay for the local steel works. This former brickworks has been demolished.
22/08/1890 – Hamilton Herald – Carfin – Trade prospects – We learn that Messrs Dixon are about to start some of their pits which have been standing idle for some considerable time. Those talked of being manned are the Big Pit adjoining the gas works, and the Jenny Lind which adjoins the new brick work owned by Messrs Millar and Park of Motherwell.
23/01/1891 – Hamilton Herald – Accident at the brickworks. On Friday afternoon, Thos Nelson (18), brickmoulder, Brushevs Row, Carfin met with an accident at the Jenny Lind Brickworks whereby he lost his 2nd and 3rd fingers at the second joint. He had put his right hand in under one of the levers to remove some clay when the lever came down inflicting the injuires stated. He should have used a flat piece of iron to remove the clay.
30/01/1892 – Death of Commissioner Archibald Millar on 29/01/1892 at Hamilton Street, Motherwell…..Mr Millar was also a member of the firm of Millar and Park, Jenny Lind Brick Works Carfin…..
Below – 1897 – Jenny Lind Brickworks.
1899 – 1900 – Miller and Park, Brickmakers, Jenny Lind Works, Carfin. Office – Hamilton Street.
1903 – Miller and Park, Brickmakers, Jenny Lind Works, Carfin. Office – Hamilton Street, Motherwell.
Below- 1910 – Jenny Lind Composition Works
23/04/1915 – Motherwell Times – For sale second hand brick in good condition. Apply Archie Crawford, Jenny Lind, Carfin.
01/06/1918 – Hamilton Advertiser – Ex Provost Robert Park passed away at Hamilton Street, Motherwell on 28/05/1912…..along with the late Baillie Archibald Millar he founded the Jenny Lind Brickworks at Carin.
23/10/1936 – Motherwell Times – When one of Dixon’s pits was sunk it was named after Jenny Lind, the great singer known as ‘‘The Swedish Nightingale,” who visited Britain in the fifties of last century. A local brickwork also did her the honour of taking her name and millions of bricks were made with Jenny Lind stamped on each. Many of them were used in building locally and are still to be found during the demolition of old houses
Below – 1939 – Jenny Lind Composition Works.
28/05/1948 – Motherwell Times – A survey of industry in the Carfin area lists the Jenny Lind Brickworks.