Found at the site of the old Bonnyside Brickworks, Bonnybridge.

Unidentified maker.

Find location would suggest Scottish origins but …

Considering the find site, this may well be a James Dougall product.

It is very likely that HOU stands for the customer’s name or business.


John Bramall points out that a possible customer could be The British Thomson Houston Company. The British Thomson-Houston (BTH) Company was founded in 1894 and production started at Rugby in 1900. The main factory buildings (on what used to be Glebe Farm) opened beside the railway line in 1902. The firm produced items such as electric motors and generators, steam turbines, meters and Mazda lamps. BTH amalgamated with Metropolitan Vickers to form Associated Electrical Industries (AEI) in 1928 but the name BTH continued to be used until 1960.  The General Electric Company (GEC) took over AEI in 1967. In 1998 two local branches of GEC merged with Alsthom. Source.

Graces Guide information.

05/03/1903 – The Scotsman – The British Thomson Houston Company. Their works were at Rugby, England and their Scottish Office was situated at 141 West George Street, Glasgow.

Similar articles