Hotspur

Although adjacent to Backworth Collieries ‘C’ Pit the yard was not commercially connected, its origins dating back to the 1870’s when the original ‘Foster’ firebricks were first produced, and despite changes of ownership the brand continued to be used over a 90 year period, becoming one of the North of England’s major producers. As and aside, during the 1930’s the firm diversified into the production of red-facing bricks which used the ‘Hotspur’ name and although this business prospered during the period of WW2, at the cessation of hostilities it was decided to concentrate on fireclay products. Ironically, the works having to finally close in 1967 due to subsidence of the nearby mining activities. -AB

Found Newcastle upon Tyne

Tagged with:

Similar articles