Canmore (Note – SBH – I am unable to pinpoint it on the OS Maps – I will try again!) Below – 1856 – Canmore suggests Kittleyknowe Tileworks were at the location of the red cross. 11/05/1881 – Greenock Advertiser – Bankruptcy – John Finnie Allan, farmer, Cardrona Mains and Kittleyknowe, Peebleshire. (Were the tileworks…
The Haining Brick and Tile Works, Selkirk, Scottish Borders
23/01/1846 – Kelso Chronicle – To be let. The farm of Easter Alemoor ( On the Estate of The Haining) in the Parish of Roberton and County of Selkirk, measuring upwards of 900 acres, whereof about 50 acres are inclosed and subdivided into a convenient field … This farm in the hands of an enterprising tenant is susceptible of great improvement which will be much facilitated by the contemplated erection of a tilework on the Estate.
23/02/1849 – Kelso Chronicle – Hartwoodburn Farm, Selkirk to let … The immediate presence of the tilework and the near neighbourhood of the Railway will be of much advantage to the tenant … (Note: the tile works are operational. The previous entry in 23/01/1846 referred to them in the planning stage).
1858 – ScotlandsPlaces – A manufactory for making tiles chiefly used for draining and farming purposes, Situated about ¾ of a mile south of the Haining.
31/03/1859 – Southern Reporter – Death – At the Haining Tileworks on the 23 inst Mary Donaldson wife of Mr Alexander Wilkinson, overseer, aged 51 years.
13/09/1860 – Southern Reporter – Marriages – At Hartwoodburn on 7th instant, Mr Alexander Wilkinson, manager at Haining Brickworks to Isabella, daughter of Mr James Riddle, saw miller.
23/05/1861 – Southern Reporter – Death – At the Haining Brickwork on the 20th Instant, Margaret, daughter of the late Thomas Rankine, Shoemaker.
03/10/1861 – Southern Reporter – Sheriff Courts – On Monday, William Paterson, stocking maker was brought before Sheriff Dundas, charged , at the first diet with forging and uttering on three different occasions, in the latter end of August last, lines in the name of Alexander Wilkinson, manager of the Haining Tileworks and by means of which he fraudulently obtained goods from John Lunn, grocer, Back Row. The prisoner pled guilty and was sentenced to four months imprisonment.
30/01/1862 – Southern Reporter – Births – At Haining Tileworks, on 25th inst, the wife of Mr Alexander Wilkinson, of a son.
Below – 12/11/1863 – Southern Reporter – Water supply issues in Selkirk and potential compensation to the Haining Tileworks.
19/11/1868 – Southern Reporter – Deaths – At the tileworks, The Haining on the 10th inst., Jane Baptie aged 77 years.
Below – 20/01/1870 – Southern Reporter – To tile and brick makers and others. For sale by private bargain at The Haining, Selkirk. The whole brick and tile sheds at the Haining consisting of upwards of 3000 yards of dry boards 3/4″ thick; 300 siles or couples with backs. Also four tile machines; two pug mills; a cast iron pump with water wheel and gearing; eighth wheelbarrows; together with tables, moulds etc. The above to be sold in whole or in lots to suit purchasers. For particulars apply to Alexander Dickson, The Haining by who offers will be received. The Haining January 1870. ( Still for sale on 17/02/1870)
20/10/1870 – Southern Reporter – Marriage – At the Haining Tile Works on 12th inst, Mr Robert Bruce Labourer, Midlem to Beatrice, daughter of Mr James Baptie, Shepherd.
Below – 04/02/1875 – Southern Reporter – Water issues in Selkirk and the proposal to resolve matters by a possible reservoir at Haining. Reference to the Haining Burn powering machinery at the tileworks.
Below – 1854 – 1875 – The Haining Tileworks, Selkirk.
Below – 1858 – The Haining Tileworks, Selkirk.
Below – and again.
1897 – The Haining Brick and Tile Works are not marked as such although one of the buildings appears still to be in situ.
Below – 2016 – Google satellite map. Red cross denotes where The Haining Brick and Tile Works used to be situated.
December 2017 – A number of views showing the scrub area between the site of the old tileworks and the clay pit which is now filled with water.
Below – This unmarked drainage tile was found sticking out of a ditch surrounding the old tile works and is undoubtedly a product of same.
12″ long x 2 1/2″ high by 2 /4″ flat bottom.