Found in Glasgow by CFA Archaeology Ltd between 2010 and 2011 during archaeological works in advance of the development of the Commonwealth Games Athletic Village at Dalmarnock, Glasgow. The brick was disclaimed by Treasure Trove. Heathfield Fireclay Works, Garnkirk. Ferguson, Miller & Company (ca 1845-1862). Sadly this oversized block is split in two. . . . ….
Abronhill Fireclay Mine, Castlecary – the fireclays were leased to Robert Miller in 1883, who started to work the fireclays by drift mines on the east side of the Glenvault Valley, and south of the Caledonian Railway. At least 7 mines were driven into the fireclays in 2 levels. The upper level contained about 10 feet of fireclay, while 8/10 feet lower down another 6 feet of fireclay was worked. George Turnbull of Bonnymuir Fireclay Works took over the leasehold about 1887 but he died in 1889 and little further mining was done. The mines were closed in 1899.
1875 – 76 – Glenvault Fire Cay Office, 188 Buchannan Street, Glasgow
1893 -R. Miller, Glenvault, Cumbernauld
31/03/1898 – Glenvault Fire Clay Mine, Dumbarton. Owner George Turnbull & Co – accident – casualty Adam Taylor ( 44) Overman – a spark off his naked light ignited 14lbs of gunpowder illegally stored in the mine.
1914 – 1915 – Glenvault Fire Clay Office, 65 West Regent Street, Glasgow
Balglass mine – owned by Glenvault and Campsie Fireclay, Lime and Coal Co Ltd, 65 West Regent Street, Glasgow – went into liquidation prior to 1915 – Glenvault and Campsie Fireclay, Lime and Coal Co Ltd was floated as a public company in 1914 but collapsed in 1915 after the war started.