Found in the Ayrshire area by Tucker Kennedy. Garnqueen Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire Alternative brickworks include: Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. Building bricks at Garscadden Works, Drumchapel. Dourie is a trade mark of P and M Hurll, Gartliston Brickworks, Glenboig.
Garnqueen Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire
Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire.
Gartliston (opened 1889) and Garnqueen (opened 1895) which was closer to Glenboig village, being about 1 mile south east of the village.
Canmore – Gartliston
Canmore – Garnqueen
Monklands – a cracking read – A personal recollection By Bob McMillan
P & M Hurll Ltd owned Birkhill Clay Mine in Bo’ness. Birkhill Clay Mine had high quality fireclay deposits which have been exploited since the 18th century. The partnership of P & M Hurll Ltd, Glenboig, was established around 1887. Mark Hurll, a firebrick manufacturer from Glenboig, Lanarkshire, leased Birkhill from Hamilton Estates in 1908 and the company
took over the mine in 1916. P & M Hurll went into liquidation in July 1980.
Hurll, Mark, jun. (of Peter & Mark Hurll, Ltd.) Ho., 1109 Aikenhead road, S.4. Hurll, Peter & Mark, Ltd., manufacturers of firebricks, furnace blocks, gas retorts and fittings, Garliston and Garnqueen Works, Glenboig. Also building Bricks at Garscadden Works, Drumchapel; office, 144 W. Regent St. C.2 ; depot, St, Rollox ; Tel. No., 147 Douglas ; telegrams, ” Hurll, Glasgow.” Hurll, Thomas R. C. (Peter & Mark Hurll, Ltd.) ;Ho., Braeriach, Boclair Cres, Bearsden.
Gartliston Fireclay Mine – Situated near Glenboig
The employees mostly reside in mine owners’ houses situated at Glenboig, known as Gartliston Square and Garnqueen Square
The new houses are described as follows: – 20 houses – 12 one apartment, rental £5 19s 2d including rates and doctors attendance; and 8 two-apartment houses, rental £7 13s 10d, including rates. Seventeen of the houses have a scullery – These houses were erected about 16 years ago – One storey, brick built – no damp-proof course – Outside walls strapped and lathed – floors wood, ventilated – internal surface of walls and ceilings in good condition
- No overcrowding
- No gardens – wash house in common with other houses – coal cellar for each house.
- Privy midden with two seats, not sufficiently private
- 1 house with sink and water supply to same – surface channels, thence underground to loch
- Gravitation water supply from standpipe at west end of property
- Scavenged at owners’ expense
- Repairs have been carried out from time to time at the request of the Public Health Department”
The two Hurll’s works, Gartliston and Garnqueen sat either side of the Glasgow to Perth railway line. Garnqueen lay on the top and south east side of a hill to the south of the village of Glenboig while Garliston lay in the slight hollow to the south west of Garnqueen and to the south of the housing area of Ramoan, about one mile from Glenboig on the Coatbridge side. (See map at the end of the document) Tucked away some mile or so west of the main Glenboig to Ramoan road, the Gartliston works could hardly be seen by those who didn’t know it was there. Only from the train did you get a good look at it. A distant view could be obtained as you drove up the hill to approach Ramoan from Coatbridge. Both works had originally had their own deep mines but the Garnqueen one closed and the air shaft, capped by a vented steel plate could still be seen on the south side of the site near to the Mine Manager’s house. According to the mining maps this was only some 90 feet (27 metres) deep.
The Gartlison brick works consisted of the following :- a pit (a deep mine some 200 feet, (61 metres deep) which provided the fireclay, a boiler house which used coal to provide heating (needed for the bricks and other equipment, not the workers), the crusher, grinding and mixing mills, the sheds where the semi-automatic machines produced standard, uncomplicated bricks and the hand-brick-making sheds (known for some reason a “stoves”, though I guess the bricks were “baked” dry!). The latter buildings were single storey but the sloping roof space, or loft, space was also used, in the case of the “big stove” for brick making / brick drying . Thus the upper floor became know as the “Loft” or “Laft in local parlance.
- Records shown that in 1896 there were 36 miners employed in the Gartliston pit.
Below – 1858 – Glenboig – how the land looked before the brickworks
01/06/1881 – Shields Daily News – Mr Hurll, Proprietor of Glenboig Fireclay Works was last week fined £70 under the provisions of the Factory and Workshops Act 1878 for having had on his premises an unfenced shaft by which a young woman lost her life in April last.
Below – 23/12/1882 – First General meeting of the members of the Glenboig Union Fireclay Company – John Hurll presiding.
Below – 09/09/1888 – Glasgow Herald – Formation of a co-operative society in Glenboig. Mr Hurll addressed the meeting.
15/04/1889 – Glasgow Evening Post – New brickwork near Coatbridge – Mr Hurl of Glenboig, who was the first to bring into prominence the fine bad of clay at Glenboig has seceded from the Glenboig Fireclay Company and is erecting a large brickwork at Ramone on the estate of Captain Colt of Gartsherrie. Several large tenements of dwelling houses are being run up in anticipation of the works. It is expected the work will be open in June.
Below – 29/07/1889 – Glasgow Evening Post – Announcing that the Gartliston Fire Clay Works will soon be opening by the proprietor Peter Hurll.
23/09/1890 – Edinburgh Evening News – Fire broke out in the oil store and joiners shop at Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig last night belonging to Mr Peter Hurll. The fire lasted 2 hours and the premises were completely gutted. A large quantity of oil, wood ad tools was destroyed. The damage which is serious is covered by insurance.
1890 –1891 – Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig. Office 95 Bath Street. Depot St Rollox.
1890 – 1891 – Peter Hurll, Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig. Office 95 Bath Street
24/09/1890 – Glasgow Herald – Glenboig – Destructive Fire – Late on Monday night a destructive fire occurred at the Gartliston Fireclay Works belonging to Peter Hurll. The fire originated in an oil store and spread to the joiners workshop. A large force of workmen with a plentiful supply of water, managed to confine the flames to these premises which, however were completely gutted. The damage is considerable but the loss is covered by insurance.
1893 – 1894 – Gartliston Fire-clay Works ; office, 95 Bath St.
Below – 08/03/1894 – Dundee Courier – Dundee Gas Commission accept tenders. Prices given.
1894 – 1895 – Gartliston Fire-clay Works ; office, 95 Bath St.
05/09/1895 – Glasgow Evening Post – Contravention of Friendly Society Act. Prosecution at Airdrie. At Airdrie today, John Hurll, Treasurer of the Gartliston and Garnqueen Friendly Society admitted having paid the funeral costs for a child without receiving a registrars certificates of the death in terms of the Friendly Society’s Act. It was stated that these cases were becoming frequent and the registrar general wanted the practice stopped. The minimum penalty of 30s was imposed.
Below – 1896 – Gartliston and Garnqueen Brickworks, Glenboig
03/06/1896 – Glasgow Herald – Joiner wanted accustomed to pit work – Apply P & M Hurll, Gartliston Works, Glenboig. or 144 West Regent Street, Glasgow.
1897 – 1898 – Gartliston and Garnqueen Fire Clay Works, Glenboig, Peter & Mark Hurll ; office, 144 West Regent st.; depot, head of Glebe street, St. Rollox ; telephone No. 147.
1898 – 1899 – Gartliston and Garnqueen Fire Clay Works, Glenboig, Peter & Mark Hurll ; office, 144 West Regent st.; depot, head of Glebe street, St. Rollox ; telephone No. 147.
1899 – 1900 – Gartliston and Garnqueen Fire Clay Works, Glenboig, Peter & Mark Hurll ; office, 144 West Regent st.; depot, head of Glebe street, St. Rollox ; telephone No. 147.
16/02/1900 – Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald – Tenders for new retorts – At a meeting of the Gas Commissioners held on Wednesday evening – Provost Logan presiding -tenders were put forward for the supplying of new retorts. The Glenboig Union Fireclay Co offered to supply 14 retorts at £2 17s 6d each, delivered free on rail. The only other tender submitted was by P & M Hurll, Glasgow who offered to supply 14 at £ each. Glenboig Coy offer was accepted, provided the sizes of the retorts meet with the approval of the manager.
04/04/1901 – Dundee Courier – Sharp sentence – Before Sheriff Mair at Airdrie, Michael O’Shea fireclay miner, Glenboig was tried under the Conspiracy and Protection of Property Act with having on 27th March with a view to compel James Delaney and Frank Martin residing in Carrick Street, Glasgow to abstain from working in Hurll’s Gartliston Fireclay mines, along with a large crowd, shouted and booed and called them ‘black legs’ and throwing stones at these men. A large number of witnesses were examined on both sides.
The Sheriff found the charge proven and characterising it as a very bad case, passed sentence of 3 months imprisonment with hard labour.
Robert Sloan, Clay miner, Glenboig and Michael Lorin, drawer, Glenboig were then tried on a similar charge on Friday by besetting 2 of the workmen who came from Coatbridge. As it appeared they were ignorant that by following up the men on the streets of that town they were guilty of contravening the Act, the Sheriff let them go with a severe caution.
06/07/1901 – Kirkintilloch Gazette – The Glenboig Evictions – This forenoon the village of Glenboig was in a perfect fever of excitement. The struggle between the owners of the fireclay mines and their men has been a bitter one. The final proceedings of the chapter was opened today. 3 Sheriff officers from Glasgow arrived before noon and proceeded to Garnqueen Square where they had warrants from the Sheriff to evict the families of Daniel Mackie, who is the secretary of the local miners union, Willam Chesney, J Dunn, J McKee, David Mackie, William Hovie, James Jones and William Hagan. A warrant was also granted to evict Michael Daily but as his wife was confined of daughter on Monday the officers did not propose doing anything in this case. Arriving at the Square the Sheriff Officers were met by a large crowd. The Square is a hollow one, to which there are only 2 narrow entrances. The crowd arranged themselves here and whenever the officers attempted to force their way in they were driven back with little ceremony. The younger members of the crowd were rather boisterous in their behaviour and the officers consequently came in for a good deal of horseplay. Finding their efforts fruitless they wired away for assistance and a second attempt to evict is to be made this afternoon. This time the officers weer assisted by some 50 policemen and they succeeded in forcing open the 8 houses and evicting the occupants. There are still a considerable number of tenants to be evicted.
20/07/1901 – Kirkintilloch Gazette – Glenboig – Contracts have been signed by the Glenboig Union Fireclay Company and P & M Hurll with Mr Graeme Hunter for the supply of workmen for the clay mines at Glenboig, Garnqueen, Gartliston, Gartcosh and Heathfield for a period of 3 years. Mr Hunter has secured or is to secure all the houses of the evicted parties. Those already secured have been furnished and men employed by him are lodged there. A number of new workers are expected from Dundee in a day or two.
1901 – 1902 – Gartliston and Garnqueen Fire Clay Works, Glenboig, Peter & Mark Hurll ; office, 144 West Regent st.; depot, head of Glebe street, St. Rollox ; telephone No. 147.
Below – 09/09/1908 – Kirkintilloch Herald – New Company Glenboig. Peter and Mark Hurll, Emily Duvoison and John Henry Hurll.
1908 – 1909 – COWAN & Co., building trade, portland cement, fireclay goods, and sanitary earthenware merchants, 16 Charles st. Representing — The Barrett Manufacturing Co.,
London, ” congo ” never-leak roofing; Smith & Sons, Darnley Works, Barrhead, sanitary engineers and bath specialists ; Wm. Griffin (successor to J. Wood Aston & Co.), Victoria Forge, Cradley Heath, anchor and cable manufacturers to admiralty, war office, &c. ; Mayer & Schmidt, Offenback, O., Maine, emery grinding machines and wheel manufacturers ; P. & M. Hurll,
brick makers, Glenboig. Telephone No. 25 y 5
11/03/1910 – The Scotsman – The Glenboig Fatal Explosion – Public enquiry
24/02/1910 – The Scotsman – Fatal gelignite explosion Garnqueen Square, Glenboig owned by Messrs Hurll
18/08/1911 – The Kirkintilloch Gazette – Chryston – Death of County Councillor Hurll – The death occurred at Woodneuk, Gartcosh on Monday of Mr Peter Hurll of the well known firm of fireclay manufacturers. Peter and Mark Hurll Ltd. Mr Hurll was in his 70th year and up till a month or two ago was actively involved in the business. On the advice of his medical advisor he relinquished his duties and contemplated going off for a change and extended rest. On the retiral of Mr W.C.B Christie of Bedlay from Lanarkshire County Council, Mr Hurll acceded to a request from all sections of the community to come forward as the representative for the Chryston Ward in the County Council and was returned unopposed in November 1909. Mr Hurll led a strenuous life and while acting as Managing Director of P & M Hurll, attended very assiduously to the duties which devolved on him in his public capacity………the funeral took place yesterday to Bedlay Cemetery.
Below – 28/08/1912 – Kirkintilloch Herald – Fire clay mine at Gartliston damaged by rain and floods.
11/12/1912 – Kirkintilloch Herald – Fireclay miners and drawers wanted: miners 6 shillings and sixpence to 8 shillings and sixpence per day, 6 days per week. Apply to P & M Hurll Ltd, Gartliston and Garnqueen Fireclay Works, Glenboig.
22/01/1913 – The Scotsman – Pit fireman fined. At Airdrie Sheriff Court yesterday, George Peters, pit fireman, Glenboig pleaded guilty to a contravention of the mines regulation act and special rule 126B by failing to inspect the working places of two miners before they proceeded to work therein in the Gartliston Fireclay Pit, Glenboig. It was pointed out that there might have been an accumulation of gas, and that there was danger of an explosion through no provision being made to prevent it. The Sheriff imposed the modified fine of £3 or 5 days.
Below – 22/05/1914 – Bellshill Speaker – Man killed at Gartliston Pit belonging to P & M Hurll. Deceased Matthew Neary.
21/03/1916 – Daily Record – Men wanted immediately for temporary employment during this week discharging magnesite from wagons on to the ground; 6d per ton will be paid each man as soon as wagons are emptied……… The Eglinton Silica Brick Co Ltd., Garnqueen Brick Works, Glenboig.
10/01/1917 – Kirkintilloch Herald – The minutes of Cadder Water Committee stated that the water supply for Garnqueen Brickworks was being taken from the Airdrie and Coatbridge Water Trust. The committee’s finding was that in ordinary circumstances they would object to another authority supplying water within the Cadder Water district but in the special circumstances of the case they would be disposed to agree to it, in order to conserve the supply of domestic purposes inn the Glenboig area, but would insist that the works be subject to the Cadder water assessments.
12/12/1917 – Daily Record – Bricklayers wanted at Garnqueen brickworks, Glenboig. Class A work – Eglinton Silica Brick Company.
Six brickworkers wanted at Garnqueen brickworks, Glenboig. Class A work – Eglinton Silica Brick Company.
Below – 29/04/1919 – Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Garnqueen brick works for sale.
10/10/1919 – Milngavie and Bearsden Herald – Cadder Parish Council – Rates – A statement was submitted showing a decrease in the valuation of the Parish. This was explained was mainly due to a fall in the assessable valuation of minerals. …the Garnqueen Fire Clay Works which was on the rolls last year at £2080 was not on the roll this year.
10/03/1920 – Falkirk Herald – Blockmakers wanted for fire clay works. Apply to P & M Hurll Ltd, Gartliston Fire Clay Works, Glenboig.
03/05/1921 – Dundee Courier – Gartsherrie – Lanarkshire Estate was recently exposed and the results of the sale were………….. Several lots which remain to be sold include Gartliston Fireclay Works and minerals………
13/01/1923 – Falkirk Herald – Pony for sale. In good condition, age 4 1/2 years. 13 hands high. Apply Peter and Mark Hurll Ltd, Gartliston Works, Glenboig.
25/06/1928 – Aberdeen Press and Journal – The Scottish fire brick trade has sustained a loss after the passing of Mark Hurll, managing director of Peter and Mark Hurll Ltd, Glenboig. Mr Hurl was on a fishing holiday at Hillswick, Shetland when the end came suddenly. Mr Hurll founded the well known firm of Peter and Mark Hurll Ltd, Glenboig. He was also interested in the coal industry, and retired only recently from the Vernon Coal Company.
Below – 29/06/1928 – Milngavie and Bearsden Herald – Death of Mark Hurll
11/01/1929 – Milngavie and Bearsden Herald – To mark the occasion of his appointment as managing director of the firm P & M Hurll Ltd, fire brick manufacturers, Glenboig, the workers of Gartliston and Garnqueen works met Mr Mark Hurll and presented him with a beautiful gramophone and records.
1930’s – In the 1930’s P & M Hurll supplied the bricks with which Mactaggart and Mickel built the Knightswood Estates, Glasgow. 52/6 a thousand delivered on site -Source Eric Flack
23/06/1933 – The Scotsman – Clay Miner Killed At Glenboig – A clay miner named John Gardner Fowler (23), who lived with his parents at 16 Gartliston Square, Glenboig, was firing a shot of compressed powder in No. 15 clay mine, Gartliston, when the shot suddenly went off, and he was caught in the flying debris. He sustained a fracture of the skull and other injuries, from which he died in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Below – 22/11/1933 – Kirkintilloch Herald – Peter and Mark Hurll Ltd at court re injuries suffered by Robert Heron – Workmens Compensation Act.
Below – 1935 – 1936 – Gartliston and Garnqueen Brickworks, Glenboig
22/05/1948 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – A Coatbridge girl, Helen Docherty, 19 years who threw an iron nut into a machine at Glenboig Brickworks wrecking it in order to get a shift off work was fined £10 at Airdrie Sheriff Court. The incident happended at the Gartliston Brickworks. Mr A. Hurll, Managing Director of the works estimated the cost of damage to the machine as £41 4s and the loss of production as £98.
Peter and Mark Hurll Ltd, Glenboig Coatbridge, Scotland – A blank delivery note.
Note the reference to Bentleys Code –
- Bentleys Second Phrase The “Bentleys Code Phrases” [ http://www.archive.org/details/bentleyscomplete00bentuoft ] first published in 1906 continued to be commonly used till the end of 1960s. That and other codes were widely used by commercial establishments. “Coding” was popular then at grass root levels. If the 5 letter codes were well understood, popular and used widely, there are no reasons why the present coding done with computer languages based on 8 bit octets cant be used with the same ease by the general public. Coding languages need to start circulating widely among the public the way Bentleys Code ruled from 1906 to the 1960s.
- Bentleys Code: A sample Genesis: In the late 19th and earlier 20th Centuries, there were Code Books created because telegram messages were charged by the word. As many as ten characters in a grouping were considered a word by the telegraph companies. Commercial Code Books, such as the Acme Code Words, or the Bentleys Complete Phrase Code were available to companies, enabling them to send complex messages in only a few “words.” Sample: For instance, if someone used Bentleys phrase book, he or she might choose the following letter groupings: DIZUH (contracts for) DAELF (computing) FEAVO (equipment) RUGUB (has/have been signed) KUKIB (New York) CUGYA (commence) OKGAP (production) ICSCO (immediately). Thus, the message, DIZUHDAELF FEAVORIGUB KUKIBCUGYA OKGAPICSCO, four “words,” would translate to, “Contracts for computing equipment have been signed [in] New York. Commence production immediately.” This would be in place of 12 normal words (13 if the implied “in” is included); a savings of at least 75 percent. Of course, for someone without the Code Book, the message would be unreadable, but the message was sent primarily for economy, not security.
Below – Illustrated catalogue (date unknown) – ‘HURLL’ Firebricks, covers etc – Peter and Mark Hurll Limited, Glenboig, Coatbridge, Scotland.
PETER & MARK HURLL
TELEGRAMS AND CABLES . . . “HURLL,, GLENBOIG”
TELEPHONE . . . . . . . . . GLENBOIG 2282
Code Used: BENTLEY’S
CLYDE AND FORTH
ON ADMIRALTY AND WAR OFFICE LISTS
GARLISTON FIREBRICK WORKS
GARNQUEEN FIREBRICK WORKS
BIRKHILL FIRECLAY WORKS
Below is an extract covering the company history.
PETER & MARK HURLL, LIMITED
During the last hundred years the name Hurll has been prominent in the history of the development of the Scottish firebrick industry, which in that time has built up at home and abroad a well-deserved reputation for the excellence of its products.
This long association with the industry started about 1835, when Mr John Hurll was first associated with the Garnkirk Fireclay Company, whose “Garnkirk” brand of firebrick was probably the first well- known Scottish firebrick.
In 1852 Mr John Hurll joined the partnership with Mr John Young, also of the Garnkirk Company, to form the firm of Hurll, Young & Company. The first works built and operated by this firm were Cardowan Fireclay Works, but the rapid expansion of their business led to the acquisition in 1860 of Heathfield Works from Messrs Miller & Ferguson, and the purchase in 1865 of Glenboig Works from Messrs Thomson, McLean & Company.
Fireclay had been first worked at Glenboig in 1836, but development had been so slight that in 1860 the population of Glenboig’s village was only about 120. The Glenboig Works were carried on under the control of Hurll, Young & Company until 1874, when the partnership was dissolved, Mr John Hurll purchasing the Glenboig Works and Mr Young purchasing Heathfield and Cardowan Works.
During the period of control by the original firm, and later while controlled by Mr John Hurll as an individual, the works extended rapidly, and by 1882-when Mr Hurll sold the Glenboig Works and retired-had become the best-known Fireclay works in Britain with a world-wide reputation for the excellence of their products.
In 1888 two sons of Mr John Hurll, Mr Peter Hurll and Mr Mark Hurll, both of whom had a complete knowledge of the organisation and management of the older works, entered into partnership. Gartliston Pit was sunk half a mile to the south of Glenboig Station to the Glenboig Fireclay in the lower Millstone Grit, and Gartliston Works were built. A sound connection was very quickly built up on the merits of the products of the works, as the raw fireclay proved to be of excellent quality, and the methods of manufacture and business outlook of the new partnership thoroughly up to date.
The steadily increasing demand for “HURLL” firebricks, as the products of Gartliston Works are known, was met by the sinking of a second pit at Glenboig in 1895, and the building of Garnqueen Works. Further developments followed in 1908 when a seam of Fireclay near Manuel, Linlithgowshire, which had been worked to a very small extent in the middle of the last century, was investigated. This clay proved to be highly aluminous and of very constant composition peculiar to this district. A mine was driven and firebricks from this clay are now marketed under the brand “KLINIT,” These bricks have set a new standard in high melting point natural aluminous refractories without admixture of other material.
In each district only the true first- quality seam is worked, and the raw material selected to maintain the quality of the product at a uniformly high standard. Modern plant is installed and maintained in the works to produce only sound, well-shaped, and hard-burned refractories.
The “HURLL” bricks, blocks, and retorts manufactured at our Gartliston and our Garnqueen Works, Glenboig, are justly favoured in Britain and its Colonies, on the Continent of Europe, and in many countries abroad for their long life when subjected to high or rapidly varying temperatures. It is very noteworthy that these bricks do not “spall” or break in the furnace, hence there is no weakening of the brickwork, or damage to the contents of the furnace from falling pieces. The material manufactured and burned by us has a minimum of expansion or contraction.
Suitable grades produced are used by leading firms for steel and iron furnaces and ladles, stoves, cupolas, pottery kilns, chemical and glass furnaces, locomotives, fire-tube and water-tube boilers.
The “KLINIT” bricks are used where conditions are exceptionally severe, and there is a rapidly increasing demand for bricks made from this clay. Where pulverised coal or oil fuel is used or where it is of first importance that a furnace should be kept under heat continuously for long periods, these bricks are unrivalled. The remarkably high thermal stability records, measured by Seger Cones, are noteworthy, as they reach the unusually high figure of Cone 34-35
Below – Railway wagon label for ground fireclay from P & M Hurll Ltd, Manuel.
Below – Tombstone Bedlay Cemetery, Chryston, Glasgow – In affectionate remembrance of Isabella McClashan wife of John Hurll of Woodneuk who died on 09/08/1874. Her children arise up and call her blessed, her husband also and he praise together. John Hurll of Woodneuk, born 12/11/1812 died 27/12/1898, Amy wife of Alexander Hurll, Bearsden died 13/02/1925. Mary Hurll died 18/12/1925. The above Alexander Hurll died 25/05/1929.