The following bricks are in a collection owned by Josh Bra. They were recovered from an old garden path at a house in Chinchen Street, Islington, New South Wales. . . . Below – Gartcraig – Gartcraig Fire Clay Works, By Millerston, Glasgow. Below – Glenboig – Glenboig Union Fireclay Company, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. Alternative brickworks include:…
The following bricks were found at Old Manutenção Militar, Beato – Lisbon, Portugal by Rui Ribolhos, Lisbon, Portugal. Empatia Arqueologia LDA.
Rui states – I am an archaeologist working in Lisbon at an old nun’s convent from the XVII th century (Convento das freiras Grilas, Beato, Lisboa) transformed into a military facility of baking bread around the 1890s (Manutenção Militar). During the excavation of the older area where the baking ovens were located, we have found some bricks from different production factories. This includes a majority of Portuguese made but some American and some from Scotland. It looks like the Portuguese army wanted the best materials for this new bread/biscuits/pastas unit/factory and for the high ovens they needed the best refractory bricks.
Below – Forth – Roughcastle Firebrick Works, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire.
Below – Probably another ‘Forth ‘ brick and note the thumbprint to the top right.
Below – Glenboig Union Fireclay Company, Glenboig, Lanarkshire.
Alternative brickworks include:
- Glenboig Star Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire.
- Glenboig Fireclay Works, (Old Works) Glenboig, Lanarkshire.
Below – A Starworks brick stamped with an additional ‘B’ to the left margin.
The following bricks were found by Vladimir Smirnov near Perm, Russian. Stein, Castlecary Fireclay Works, Castlecary, Stirlingshire. Stein, Manuel Firebrick and Refractory Works, Whitecross, Stirlingshire. Stein & Co, Anchor Brickworks, Denny, Stirlingshire. Milnquarter Fireclay & Gannister Works, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire . Below – BCM/Thistle. Below – Thistle.
Found by Larie Sam M. Yanga in the backyard of a house at San Enrique Negros Occidental, Philippines. . . . . Below – Gartcraig – Gartcraig Fire Clay Works, By Millerston, Glasgow.
These ‘P & M Hurll, Glasgow’ bricks were photographed by Harry Hughes at the Widow Sammons House, Carrowkennedy, Republic of Ireland. Note the reversed letter ‘S’. The owner of the house said the bricks were on the floor. He has reused the old bricks to form a hearth for a stove. This is a link…
This brick was found by Syeeba Medina Azza in an abandoned fortress at Oranje Nassau near Banjarbaru City, Kalimantan. This fortress was built in 1849. . . . Below – Patent R. Brown & Son, Paisley – Robert Brown & Son, Ferguslie Fireclay Works, Paisley, Renfrewshire
The following brick was found on the south Bank of Tagus at Cacilhas, Lisbon, Portugal by Rui Ribolhos, Lisbon, Portugal. Empatia Arqueologia LDA. There were many shipyards in this vicinity. . . . Below – Forth – Roughcastle Firebrick Works, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire.
This unstamped clay pipe was found by Geoff Hancock in a shed on Raws Farm, near Sandford, Strathaven. South Lanarkshire. Its provenance prior to that is unknown. It is likely to have been for channelling water. There are several local disused tileworks that this may have been manufactured at but it also has the look…
Found in the Hudson Valley in New York, USA by Hunter Cantrell. Note the Glenboig ‘star’ trademark under the ‘N’ of Glenboig. Glenboig Union Fireclay Company, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. Alternative brickworks include: Glenboig Star Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. Glenboig Fireclay Works, (Old Works) Glenboig, Lanarkshire .
Many thanks to Colin Rogers for the following information and photographs. This white enamelled sink stamped J & R H Ltd, was found in Montevideo, Uruguay by Colin’s wife, Sonsoles Baison. Colin states – Part of the stamp says “Made in Britain” and in Spanish “aprobado por A.N.D.A.” which means approved by Anda. There is…
This ‘Muir’ stamped brick was found by Gustavo Coronel and Leonardo Brizuela at a lime kiln at Barrio, Montevideo, Argentina. As this is a fire brick it was possibly manufactured at the Boghead Brick and Fireclay Company, Bathgate sometime between 1898 and c. 1928 when Messrs Muir operated the works. . . . . ….