Figgate Burn Brickwork , Portobello

0 61

Brickwork to the East of the Figgate Burn, Portobello AKA






Annals of Duddingston and Portobello – 1898

Below – 24/06/1775 – Caledonian Mercury – To be set or sold and entered into by Martimas first. A potterrie at the Friggat Bridge presently possessed by Anthony Hilliot. (Hillcote) – Robert Stewart tylemaker on the ground will treat with any person inclining to take or purchase the above. N.B Brick, tyle, pavement brick, chimney head canns etc, of the best kinds, continues to be sold there, as usual at the most reasonable prices. This not to be repeated.

28/10/1782– Caledonian Mercury – Lands and tenements at Portobello and a house in Nicolson’s Street for sale ……. The part of the lands of Freegate, lying in the Parish if Duddingston and the shire of Edinburgh on the south side of the high road leading from Edinburgh to Musselburgh….a house presently possessed by Allan Livingston…….. part of the grounds afford proper and agreeable situations for building on and might be feued out in lots to advantage and should the purchaser incline to carry on a brick and tyle work or pottery or brown pot work, the grounds afford proper clay near the surface of which brick of an excellent quality was made some years ago.

Below – 1783 – Map showing 2 brickworks in Portobello as owned by Mr Jameson (Note the 2 x red crosses)

03/04/1790 – Caledonian Mercury – At Brickfield to the east of Figget-Bridge, continue to be made and sold the following articles of the best kinds and at most reasonable prices. Common bricks, paving bricks and branders for malt kilns, flooring bricks of all kinds, pan tyles. Brown pottery ware of every sort. Flower pots. Chimney head cans of all sorts of approved use in preventing smoke. Pipes of different bores for conducting water. Also an assortment of cream coloured or Queen’s ware. Orders from the country addressed to William Jamieson, mason in Edinburgh; to David Cruick at the manufactory or to William Christie collector of shore dues at the ferry boat frair, Leith will be punctually attended to and answered with the utmost care and expedition.

Below – 01/09/1792 – Caledonian Mercury – At the brick and tyle manufactory – Adjoining the Frigate Bridge, upon the Musselburgh Road, are manufactured and sold, common brick, pan tyle, Plain or glazed, and stock price; pavement brick of different dimensions, and branders for malt kilns, Hot-Houses, and Stoves. All sorts of brown potter ware. Water pipes, of different bores, for conveying water. chimney – head cans and flower pots of all uses, crucibles of fire clay. Orders addressed to William Jamieson, mason in Edinburgh, or Mr Chittic, Shores-Dues Office, Leith will be particularly attended to. For the accommodation of such as may have occasion to receive their good by water carriage, a Small Quay is lately built upon the mouth of the Frigate Burn, where vessels of  a light burden may receive their goods.


Below – 12/11/1814 – Caledonian Mercury – Morton & Co, Brick and tile makers, Portobello for sale but Thomas Morton will continue to trade on his own.


12/06/1815 – Caledonian Mercury – For sale at Portobello- A desirable residence, & other property.  To be Sold by public roup, within the Royal Exchange Coffeehouse, upon Wednesday the 14th day of June curt. at two o’clock afternoon.  The house of Rosefield, Offices, and Garden, which belonged to, and were possessed by the late Mr William Jameson.  That two-storey House, on the opposite side of the road, presently possessed by Mr Thomas Morton, consisting of four fire-rooms, kitchen, closets, washing-house, and other conveniences, with the plot of ground before and behind the house.  The White Pottery, presently under lease to Messrs Rathbone and Yool, with the workmen’s houses, ad plot of ground betwixt and the sea, and the Flint Mill and Ground betwixt it and Pipe Street.  The Tile and Fire-brick Work, as presently possessed by Mr Morton.  These two small commodious Houses at the top f the lane leading to Ramsay Lodge, consisting of three rooms and kitchen, and other conveniences.  The Ground in Pipe Street and Wallace Park.  For further particulars application may be made to John Osburn Brown, Dublin Street.

04/11/1820 – Caledonian Mercury – To be sold by Public Roup, within the Royal Exchange Coffee house, Edinburgh on Wednesday 15th November at 1 0’clock afternoon. The following parts of the property of the late Mr Jameson of Portobello….. The bricks and other materials of the manufactory, offices and servants houses on the west side of the harbour, Portobello. These buildings are to be removed that the ground may be feued alongst with the other grounds to the south. The bricks are in good order and worth the attention of builders. Another old Brick Work existed at the same time on the site now occupied by Henderson Bow, but concerning it we have little authentic information, except that it was owned by Messrs R. and R. Dickson, sons of John Dickson, the contractor for the erection of the High School, Edinburgh. They made some changes in the locality, converting Mr W. Jameson’s” elegant mansion ” into a place little better than a brick shed, and built the range of houses in front of it on the High Street. Of the existing works, Westbank Brick Work is the oldest. The discovery of the bed of clay on the east side of the burn, by William Jameson, naturally led adjoining proprietors to realise the value of their property. Mr Miller of Craigentinny owned the ground on the west of the stream, which about the year 1770 was leased by Anthony Hillcoat, a bricklayer from Newcastle.

Similar articles

Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /customers/f/f/e/ on line 1