The following partial Scottish bricks were found by Caroline Small on the shores at the Port of Geelong, Victoria, Australia. . . . . Below – ‘Gartverie or Gartverrie’ – Gartverrie Fireclay Works, Glenboig. Below – Allan and Mann, Govan Patent, Glasgow’ – Allan & Mann, Port Eglinton, Glasgow Alternative brickworks include: Rutherglen Pottery, Glasgow….
1841 – 1842 – Peter Smith, brick and tile maker, Crosshill. Letters left at 68 King Street, Glasgow.
1849 – 1850 – Peter Smith, brick and tile maker, Crosshill. Letters left at 144 Trongate, Glasgow.
1852 – Peter Smith, brick and tile maker, Crosshill.
1852 – Mrs Peter Smith, brick and tile maker, Crosshill.
Below – 17/03/1856 – Glasgow Herald – Sale at Crosshill Brickworks. Cathcart Road.
21/03/1856 – Glasgow Herald – Sale today – Bricks, old wood, tiles etc at Crosshill Brick and Tile Works at 12 noon. Hutchison and Dixon, Auctioneers.
Below – 1858 – Crosshill Brickfield.
Prior to 1861 – Mr Allan Senior was in partnership with Mr John Mann at Crosshill Brickworks.
12/02/1861 – Hugh Allan started a business for himself at Crosshill Brickworks.
1871 – 1872 – William Steven, brickmaker, builder, and contractor; office, 481 London Road; House, 483 do; Brickworks, Porter Street and Society Street, Great Eastern Road; Mauldslie, London Road; Crosshill, Cathcart Road, Southside.
Below – 29/10/1872 – Glasgow Herald – Bankruptcy examination of Hugh Allan, brick and tile maker, Crosshill, Renfrewshire.
20/04/1877 – North British Daily Mail – Suburban burghs. Crosshill – new works in the vicinity. Several works have just been begun in the near neighbourhood of the burgh, which will add nothing to its salubrity. At the eastern extremity of the road leading directly from Queen Mary’s Avenue, in the low grounds below Mount Florida, a large brickfield is commenced by Mr Allan Mann, (Allan and Mann?) and another in close proximity by Mr Hugh Mclntyre. With those already established on the opposite side of the Polmadie Road, the inhabitants of Mount Florida, particularly in the east end, will certainly have the full benefit of the undesirable fumes when the kilns are lighted, whenever the wind blows from the eastward, which is generally about a third of the year. Another brickwork is in course of formation by Messrs Gilchrist & Goldie, who have long carried on this business at Sandyacres, on the old Langside Road. It is situated on Coplawhill, close to the east side of Victoria Road and immediately south and to the rear of the Victoria Swimming Baths. The lands are the property of the Glasgow Corporation, and were for many years occupied by Messrs Austin & McAuslane as a part of their nurseries, but have been leased by the above firm, who are at present erecting an engine-house and other necessary buildings for prosecuting the work. It was imagined that feuing for house-building would have begun there before now, but the formation of this work must postpone such for an indefinite period …
10/04/1885 – Glasgow Herald – Red brickwork to let at Myrtle Park, Crosshill. Brickmaking can be commenced at once. Apply to Allan and Mann, 48 St Enoch Square, Glasgow.
14/10/1885 – Glasgow Herald – Red brickwork to let at Crosshill, Glasgow, in good working order. Apply Allan and Mann, 48 St Enoch Square.
1886 – David Steven, brickmaker (Wm Steven and Son), Helena Villa, Tollcross, Glasgow.
1886 – William Steven, brickmaker (Wm Steven and Son), Helena Villa, Tollcross, Glasgow.
19/04/1886 – Glasgow Herald – Red brickwork to let at Crosshill, Glasgow with machinery, plant etc in working order. Nearly a season’s make of clay being raised, brick making can be commenced as soon as weather will permit. Apply to Allan & Man, 48 St Enoch Square.