Bank Brickworks, New Cumnock, Ayrshire, East Ayrshire

Many thanks to Dr Jimmy Begg for providing some of his research on the Bank Brickworks.

Bank Brickworks, New Cumnock, Ayrshire.

1890‘s – Probably when Bank Brickworks was built “for many years prior to 1926, brickmaking had been a subsidiary branch activity at Bank” (Carvel – History of the New Cumnock Coalfield).

1899 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests the brickworks were started c. 1899 and were owned by the New Cumnock Collieries Limited.

Below – 1908 – Bank Brickworks. (The works are not referred to on the 1857 map. The buildings as seen on the 1908 map are referred to on the 1948 map but they have not titled them as the Bank Brickworks).

1951 – “One of the side industries is a composition brickworks at Bank employing 20 men and turning out two and a half million bricks per annum”.

Below – 1939 – This is a photograph of an Ayrshire Brickworks.  The title to top right is incomplete. Could it be the Bank Brickworks?

1947 – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests the works were taken over by the National Coal Board.

Early 1960‘s – The 1985 publication ‘A survey of Scottish brickmarks’ suggests the works closed around this time.

Similar articles