19/08/1899 – Falkirk Herald – Discovery of minerals near Kilsyth – Mr Street, who recently acquired Coneypark and Tomsyne Estates, Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, has been conducting operations to ascertain what minerals underlie these estates. The existence of various valuable coal and clay seams, also a very rich seam of shale, never hitherto known occur locality, has been…
I believe that Alexander Thomson is the father of William Thomson as per the links below.
1862 – 1863 – Alexander Thomson, brickmaker and builder. Ho 259 Eglinton Street, Glasgow.
1874 – 1875 – Thomson, Alex., brickmaker, builder, and contractor, 130 Pollokshaws road, and at Crossbank Brick and Tile Works ; house, 19 Cumberland street,
1877 – 1878 – Alex. Thomson, brickmaker, builder and contractor. 130 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow and at Crossbank Brick and Tile Works. Ho 41 Cumberland Street
Below – 22/08/1883 – Glasgow Herald – Alexander Thomson, Polmadie fined for employing children at his brick works.
1889 – 1890 – Thomson Alex., brick builder and contractor. House 33 Queen Square, Strathbungo
1889 – 1890 – Thomson Wm., brickmaker, Crossbank Brick and Tile Works, Aitkenhead Road, Polmadie. House 33 Queen Square, Strathbungo
1895 – 1896 – Thomson, Wm., brickmaker, Crossbank Brick and Tile Works, 685 Aikenhead road, and Mallsmire Fire Brick Works, Polmadie ; house, 33 Queen sq.,Strathbungo.
1900 – 1901 – Thomson, Wm., brickmaker, Crossbank Brick and Tile Works, 686 Aikenhead road, and Mallsmire Fire Brick Works, Polmadie ; house, 33 Queen sq.,Strathbungo
This below is the fly in the fly in the ointment
1908 – 09 – Alex Thomson & Sons, – brickmaker, 100 Abbotsford Place, Glasgow
Garnqueen Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. Gartliston Fireclay Works, Glenboig, Lanarkshire. Gartliston (opened 1889) and Garnqueen (opened 1895) which was closer to Glenboig village, being about 1 mile south east of the village. Canmore – Gartliston Canmore – Garnqueen Monklands – a cracking read – A personal recollection By Bob McMillan P & M Hurll Ltd owned Birkhill Clay Mine in…
Canmore – Methil Brick Works aka Aberhill Aberhill Brickworks, Methil, Fife AKA Methil Brickworks – Methil Brick Company. Below – Many thanks to Ronald Gage for the following undated photograph of brick workers standing outside a kiln at the Aberhill Brickworks. Ronald states the Works opened in 1908, closed in 1952 and were demolished in 1976….
1899 – Bartonshill Brick Company, Brickmakers, Bargeddie, Glasgow. 22/11/1902 – Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser – Brick kiln lodger – On Monday at Airdrie J.P Court John Murphy, miner, of no fixed residence. was charged with lying in a brick-kiln at Bartonshill Brickworks, on Monday, 17th November, without the permission of the owner. On pleading guilty the accused was…
The Calder Fireclay Company was founded in 1880 by Robert Fleming & Co with a brickworks at Armadale. The Company was reconstructed in 1892 as the Calder Fireclay Co and passed into the control of the Paine family who erected a brickworks 2 miles south east of Airdrie near the Carnbroe Iron Works. They also…
Canmore Greenfield Brickworks, Shettleston, Glasgow were later known as Frankfield Brickworks 27/05/1899 – Dundee Advertiser – New joint stock companies, Scotland – Greenfield Coal and Brick Company, Greenfield Colliery, Shettleston – to purchase from Thomas Spittal, contractor, Shettleston his business of colliery proprietor and brick maker, and to carry on the business of miners, smelters,…
Sited close to the glassworks, and probably dates back to about 1750. An advertisement in the Stirling Journal of 20th July 1820 offers common brick at 30 shillings per thousand and firebricks at 70 shillings per thousand. The firebricks very superior having been fully proved in the strongest furnaces. It was managed by W &…
Below – 31/01/1873 – Glasgow Herald – Stobcross Brickfield, Opposite St Vincent Crescent, Glasgow – brickmakers plant for sale. Sold in consequence of the competition of the contract by Mr Alexander Thomson.
Below – 15/12/1892 – Dundee Courier – A labourer James Clark was charged with having on 9th December at the colliery office at Muiredge, belonging to Messsrs Bowman produced to James Dryburgh, Cashier a ticket or order stating “Brick work pit, Dec 12 1892, Please pay Wm Macaky 3 days 4 hours at 3s per…
21/08/1854 – Glasgow Herald – Ground near Parkhead to be feued and ground for brick fields to be let. To be feued, those parts of the Estate of Carntyne, lying in the immediate vicinity of Messrs Napiers Forge and adjacent to the road from Glasgow to Edinburgh by Duke Street. Those parts of the lands…