Found by Michael Fallone in the Glasgow area. Hugh Symington & Sons, Kipps Quarries and Brick Works, Coatbridge. . . . .
Is this company connected to the Airdrie Brick Company?
Airdrie House Brickworks, Airdrie, Lanarkshire.
Alternative brickworks include:
- Kipps, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.
Airdrie House (now Monklands General Hospital)
Most of The Moss and the area around Whinhall belonged to the Airdrie House Estate until the beginning of this century. The estate was owned and occupied by the Hamilton family for nearly 300 years and it was Robert Hamilton who is credited with being the founder of Airdrie in 1695. The Hamilton reign came to an end in 1749. In 1769 the Aitchison’s bought the estate that the Alexanders later inherited. In 1987 Sir John Wilson bought the estate and it was to be the home of the Wilsons until it became the local maternity hospital in 1919. This closed in 1962 and was demolished in 1964 to make way for Monklands General Hospital that opened in 1977.
Airdriehouse Brickworks – Bricks were needed for the furnaces and for general building. For a short period of time at the end of the 19th century the Airdriehouse Brickworks carried out quarrying operations just north west of Airdrie House, near the railway sidings. Little is known about the brickworks but that they quarried on the site of an old ironstone pit for a few years but this was later abandoned. The Penny Spring flowed into the crater and it became the first pond.
22/01/1864 – Glasgow Herald – For sale, upwards of 200,000 composition bricks lying beside the Monklands Railway. Apply at the Airdrie Brick Works. Airdrie 20/01/1864 ( Same company?)
20/03/1874 – Glasgow Herald – Bricks – first class composition, machine made. Apply J.Hyslop, South Cobbinshaw, Auchengray. (Connected via J Hyslop?)
18/06/1892 – Nichol’s semi dry brick making machine for sale. Cheap. Apply Hyslop, Airdrie House, Airdrie.
26/11/1894 – Mining Institute – A letter – The first from J.B. Atkinson to Jon Hyslop of Airdrie House Brick Works,Airdrie, confirming that they have begun
working coal by means of a slope at the brick works.
28/02/1895 – Mining Institute – Letter from J.B. Atkinson to Jon Hyslop at Airdrie Home Brickworks on the subject of Mosside coal.
1903 – Jonathan Hyslop, Brick and Tile Maker, Airdrie House brick works, Airdrie.
1912 – 1913 – Jonathan Hislop, Brick and Tile Maker, Airdrie House brick works, Airdrie (note spelling of Hyslop)