1799 – William Muir and Co, brick and tyle makers, Calton, Glasgow.
Aberlady or Ballencrieff Brick Works, Aberlady, Haddingtonshire
Information – Noted on Forrest’s Map of 1799 and thereafter in the OS maps; working c.1841 – c.1861, latterly under the management of William Brodie of Seafield Brick & Tile Works.
Below – 1799 – 1832 – Map depicting ‘Brick Field’ at the location of the Aberlady/Ballencrieff Brickworks.
Below – 1822 (or earlier) – Map depicting ‘Brick Field’ at the location of the Aberlady/Ballincrieff Brickworks.
1837 – George Reid – Brick and Tile Maker, Ballencrieff.
1838 – Marquess of Tweeddale – Early trials of the inventor’s tile machine in 1838 at the works of Dean and Henderson at East Fenton and George Reid at Ballencrieff in the East Lothian were highly successful (Tweeddale MSS, 9 May 1838 and 10 May 1838).
Below – 02/05/1840 – Leeds Intelligencer – Suicide of Mr Burns residing at Aberlady Brickworks.
01/08/1845 – Glasgow Herald – Philip or Felix Rourk, was accused of wilful fire-raising, in having, on the night of the 15th June last, set fire to a building near Aberlady Brick Work at Haddingtonshire, occupied by George Reid, Farmer at Ballencrieff and containing a large number of wheelbarrows and tools which were burned. After examining a few witnesses the case was given up by the Public Prosecutor and a verdict of not guilty recorded.
1852 – Aberlady Tile Work, Aberlady, Haddington – George Reid.
Below – 1853 – Ballincrieff Brick and Tile Works.
1861 – John RODGER/head/m/40/manager of brick & tile works/Aberlady.
Alexander RODGER/son/11/East Fortune.
Jane RODGER/dau/11/East Fortune.
Robert MAXWELL/head/m/36/brick & tilemaker/Bothwell.
William B MAXWELL/son/1/Aberlady.
1861 – 1862 – Aberlady Tile Works.
18/05/1863 – John Rodger was born at Aberlady Brick and Tile Works, Aberlady.
1867 – William Brodie – Brick and Tile Manufacturer, Aberlady.
13/11/1915 – Edinburgh Evening News – East Lothian holding sold – Another portion of Lord Elibands property in Aberlady Parish has just changed hands, the brickwork holding having been purchased by Mr G Sinclair, whose family have farmed it for several generations.